Should I buy preemie clothes?

My baby girl only has a two vessel cord and I will likely be induced at around 36 weeks.

I have never cared for an infant before and I don't know the sizes. I look at the newborn size clothing and they look so tiny. I can't imagine a baby smaller than that! I know that there are preemie clothes out there, should I purchase some or wait until she is born?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 2:28 AM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I had my two boys at 37 and 38 weeks and they were in preemie clothes for a long time. I had my daughter at 40 weeks and she couldnt even wear newborn she is so big. I would say buy some but dont remove tags until you know. So if you dont use them you can take them back. They predicted my daughter being 7 lbs and she was 8.9 They predicted my son to be over 8 and he was 5 12.
    tdawn_21

Answer by tdawn_21 at 8:14 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• i have some preemie clothes already some were given to me and some i bought. my friends son was born at 35 weeks and preemie was kinda big on him.. and if u r a week ahead.. i would do some preemie some newborn...
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 2:29 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My son was 6 lbs. Preemies were big on him for almost the first month and he was born at 38 weeks. You would be surprised at how big those clothes are actually.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 2:36 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• mine was 6.8 then lost nearly lb within days. she wasn't even big enough for newborn; but atleast buy newborn for a small baby (0-3m way big). I was told to get mimimal as they will grow and sure enough, before I knew it she had grown out of 0-3m items I forgot to put in her drawer; So just plan her layette and the store you want those necessities from and start w/newborn just a few essentials for at home baby and you'll see how he progresses re: how many more outfits you'll need at that stage; before going onto the basics for 0-3m and so on. Basics first and 1-2 cute sets
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• You should probably get a couple to be safe... Has your dr. gotten a estimated weight? It could be wrong but if they think your having a 10 lb baby and your only 36 weeks then you shouldn't worry right? ... but having him that early you should definatly invest in some.. they won't last long so i wouldn't get that many ...
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 3:33 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• If you are delivered 4 weeks early, your baby may weigh up to 2 lbs below "normal" - so you could be looking at a 5.5lbs baby. I've even used some preemie clothes with my older 2 who lost into the 6's after birth. I'd say having them will be a good idea. If you plan to breastfeed it can take longer for baby to gain (mine all have, but it's not this way for everyone) so they could end up using them longer.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 3:44 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My daughter wore preemie clothes for 4 months!!! So I would buy them.
    the1youluv2hate

Answer by the1youluv2hate at 6:24 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• buy like 3-4 preemie clothes like stretchies, onesies in nb should fit just fine. I just had small babies and preemie is more like 0-2 mos where as nb works out to be more like 2-4 mos after that my kids usually fit the correct size for month clothing till around 9 mos then they were always bigger than the month size.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 6:53 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My son has Down Syndrome and my water broke at 36 weeks. I didn't have any premie clothes, and although newborn size clothes were a little big I didn't bother to go out and buy premie clothes. However, if I'd known in advance that he was going to be born that early I probably would have tried to get a few premie things at least. I would save the receipts though, you might find out that the newborn size stuff works just fine.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 6:58 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I would buy a few preemie outfits, my daughter was 6 lbs when she was born and the newborn clothes were way too big on her (so were the preemie clothes)
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:29 AM on Dec. 19, 2008