Do you assume that everything they do or inject into you during labor is okay

or do you question it or do you make sure they tell you everything they are doing BEFORE they do it and deny certain things?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 AM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Oh heck no! If someone is going to inject something into me and it is non emergent then you had better believe that I am checking the meds, the dosage, and the safety factor.

I am not saying for you to do that. I am a nurse and have a pretty good understanding of what I am looking at and I rarely trust others. I have witnessed so many dangerous and deadly medication errors in my like that I can't trust others.

I even asked my OBGYN today for a handwritten list of common drugs he prescribes during labor and delivery so I can look them up and make them known to me. It was a really short list which is good.

I have a girlfriend who died during labor because of a medication error. That is not going to be me. There is nothing wrong with being educated and protecting yourself.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 2:43 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• helllll no i will not just let them do their thing. today when i was given that shot i forget what its called to stop the contractions well she said i would feel shakey and my heartbeat would be fast and awkward and it was really bad my whole body was shakey and i was really cold. then the babies heartrate dropped to like 92 or something like that right after i got the shot and she wanted to give me aNOTHER one right after this one.. like literally 10 minutes later... she didnt but she was going to she just forgot.... i wouldnt have let her though
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 2:45 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• OMG, Kelsey how are things? Did the contractions stop?
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 2:48 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• well i went in cause i was crampy and have achiness in my stomach and lower back last night and then this morning i woke up out of my sleep with badddd cramps like as though i would start my period. so i called my dr and they told me to go to L&D so i did and the monitored me and iwas having contractions and she checked to see if i was dilated and she said i am like half a centimeter lol (then she said to my dr on the phone that i was like a finger dilated) idk what that means.. but i got that shot and stuff and the contractions took reallllyyy long to stop but they slowed down and i get a contraction every now and again but not consistent. they said if they are consistent then to go back but havent been yet...

KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 2:52 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Thankfully, I don't labor with any injections. And so yes, I do question things.
    But from my experiences, most women don't seem to question too much because: "they wouldn't give it to us if it were dangerous." lol.
    :- /
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:57 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• are you a doula?
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 2:59 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I HAVE THIS THEORY, AND IT MAY HELP ANSWER YOUR QUESTION. DOCTORS AND NURSES GO THROUGH LOTS OF SCHOOLING TO GET TO WHERE THEY ARE, BUT DOES THAT MEAN THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING? NO!! THEY REFER TO THERE WORK AS " PRACTICING MEDICINE" AND THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT THEY DO. MY WATER BROKE ON A MONDAY AFTERNOON AND I WENT TO THE HOSPITAL AND WAS ADMITTED AT ONCE. I NEVER HAD A CONTRACTION AND I ONLY DILATED TO A 1 AFTER BEING ON MEDICINE FOR 2 DAYS TO INDUCE THE LABOR!! MY POINT IS, NOT EVERY SITUATION IS THE SAME AND NOT EVERY DOCTOR HAS HAD THE CHANCE TO PERFORM THE PROCEDURE YOU NEED ON A PATIENT BEFORE, SO IN MY OPINION, YES!!! ALWAYS ASK QUESTIONS AND KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING BEFORE YOU LET THEM DO IT. IT IS YOUR BODY, NOT THEIRS.
    JANEDOE5683

Answer by JANEDOE5683 at 3:04 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I am a doula. (*Well, my career is on-hold while I have my own small children to care for...)

:-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:07 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I don't have an IV during labor so they aren't able to just inject me with things. My dr and I have an agreement about this (one of the reasons I refuse to go to the hospital if he's not there) and he only gives anything when we talk about it first. We opted to use pitocin when my last labor stalled, but when it didn't help we agreed again to stop it. If you have a dr that won't talk with you like you might have sense enough to know something, consider getting another dr. When you go in, tell the nurse (who will think she knows better than you) that you have talked with your dr and ______. If she won't listen to you have her call your dr before she goes any further. You have the right to question and agree to things. Know ahead of time what you and dr agree on - with the understanding he could override you if there is a life/death situation - and don't let some overbearing nurse change your plans.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 3:30 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I am a labor and delivery nurse and my advice is always to ask questions about ANYTHING that you don't know or is not explained to you. I always tell my patients that your anxiety level will be much lower the more comfortable you feel with your plan of care. So please-ask questions! I have 17 years of experience in this area- so I don't want to come across as knowing "better'-but I love to help educate my patients so they have a better experience.
    BonJovilover

Answer by BonJovilover at 5:47 AM on Dec. 19, 2008