Could a kidney infection cause a (False) positive TB test result?

I had a kidney infection recently and my new doctor decided to give me a Tetnis shot (OUCH!) and TB test when I went for a follow-up visit. I just had a negative TB test less than a year ago, so I felt this was unnecessary. Not to mention, I was uncomfortable about the idea of mixing these two shots with my Cyprofloaxn prescription med (I mean, can you really be expected to develop antibodies while you're on antibiotics? How smart is that?).
Anyway, my TB test came back positive. I did scratch around it a little, so I'm in hopes it's a false positive. Could the bacteria from my kidney infection, or perhaps the antibiotic I'm taking have caused a false positive? It's REALLY upsetting to have this happen to me. I have three small kids to take care of. I'll find out in a week what my chest X-rays have to say. I think I'm also going to request a re-test.
(How could I have been exposed to Tuberculosis? I'm a SAHM who rarely goes anywhere!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2008 in Health

• You could have contracted TB anywhere- even at the grocery store. It's rare for people to have TB but it can happen. I don't understand the whole tetanus shot and TB test when you had a kidney infection. Were you coughing a lot at the doctor's office? Did you state any other symptoms while you were there?
    JuneL

Answer by JuneL at 9:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• No, I didn't cough. I don't have a cough. I haven't coughed since the last time I had a cold. I guess they just wanted to start me out with all normal test they do to new patients. They also discussed pap smears, mamograms, blood tests and colonoscopies with me. LOL, I'm only 29, and other than this one kidney infection, I've never had anything wrong with me.
    Anonymous

• This is really interesting to me. There are two types of TB. There is one that is described as a infection. This condition, sometimes called latent TB, causes no symptoms and isn't contagious, and can effect various organs, such as the kidneys, joints and muscles. Being in a dormant state. You might not have any other symptoms except your positive TB test. There is a good site Revolution Health.com that has a good explanation of this. Im just getting over a kidney infection, have been treated with 7 days of cipro and now on 10 days of amoxicillian. Its been a rough ride, hope you are feeling better. Get lots of rest if possible. You can request a new TB test to be sure it wasn't a false positive before having the xray if it would make you feel better. Remember to trust your instincts and be in charge of your healthcare. Ask lots of questions , and do research on your own.
    joyfulgirl45

Answer by joyfulgirl45 at 10:00 AM on Jul. 14, 2008