Over Weight?

I am 18, im about 5'1 and i am over weight i know that, but does that mean i cant get pregnant, im only 180. I know that is still a lot but like i asked can that really prevent me from getting pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• ive heard being overweight can make it harder to get pregnant.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 2:49 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• i have also heard that being over weight can make it hard to conceive, but i think that is in severe cases. 180 is HARDLY severe! haha.

if you actually look it up, they say that slightly over weight women are more likely to have twins. hehe. the only reason i know that is because i have frat. girls. i, however, was not over weight until i had them. hehe. :)

i honestly don't think you have anything to worry about. GOOD LUCK!
    sarahkaystone

Answer by sarahkaystone at 3:01 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• It can make it more difficult, but I'm more overweight so it's not a sure indicator. I have known friends who just lost a few pounds and soon became pregnant. Estrogen is stored in body fat, so losing a bit of fat could raise your estrogen levels a bit and maybe help things along. I will say too that labor and delivery is more difficult the larger you are. My first 3 I was smaller - not the correct weight, just smaller and LD was easier. The last 2 were kinda rough and this one is slated to be at the same birth weight as those, so that may be some incentive to get some pounds off before you get pg too. Best of luck to you!
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 4:01 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• NO I WAS WAY BIGGER AND HAD MY BABY YOU ARE NOT THAT BIG !!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:27 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Yes and no. A first baby usually takes a few months to conceive anyway. I am also only about 5 1... and I'm about 160. Will be ttc #3 in a few months. With my first it took nearly 8 months to get pregnant (I was only about 135 at the time) with our second I was about 165-170 and it only took 2 months. And 180 is not really 'overweight'. When drs talk about it being harder they means women who are more like 250+. Good luck ttc!!
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 10:17 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I'm 5'3". I was 200 when I conceived my first; at that point we weren't trying not to get pregnant, if that makes sense, so I don't know if my weight was a factor. When I conceived my second, I was 186; we tried for about 3 months, then decided we were going to wait and conceived 3 days later. It can't hurt to lose the weight, and it might indeed help you conceive faster. There's really no way to know for sure unless you try without losing weight and it doesn't happen and then you lose the weight and it happens right away.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:47 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Being over weight is never helpful, but on the other hand it doesn't necessarily make conception harder for all over weight women. I'm 5'8" and I asked my doctor about it when I was 175. She told me it definitely couldn't hurt to loose a few pounds, but she wasn't overly concerned about it. Check you BMI and see if you fall into the over weight catagory or the obese catagory. If you've gone past over weight into obese, you should probably try to loose a little weight before you get pregnant. My doctor told me even a decrease in weight of 5% can have a postive effect. I am just saying this because there are increased risks of complications when you are more than just a little over weight. I was surprised to learn that heavier women are actually more likely to have low birth weight babies.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:06 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Im 22 years old 5'1 and 175 pounds and got prego. dont worry your not too fat.LOL actually i thought the same thing it took me a year to get preg though. best wishes.
    Anonymous