who on here is a doula or midwife??

i think it is SO interesting!

if you are can you explain how you got into doing this and do you enjoy it.... and what is the best part of it.

KelsoBabeyy

Asked by KelsoBabeyy at 3:00 AM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I am a doula.

I started to see how dramatically different my maternity care was from my close friends giving birth. And then my deliveries, too. I couldn't read & learn enough. I discovered how much a business & machine Maternity Care is and that toooo many women get swallowed whole.
    It made me want to help them to have beautiful birthing experiences in spite of that money-driven crap.

I love the process of birth and I want other moms to truly ENJOY birth like I was fortunate enough to!!
    :-D

The best part is being invited to The Most Important Day in a family's life-- helping them to become a family, watching them greet their baby!!!! :-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:05 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• how did you get into doing that? like are you with a company or something??
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:07 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• No. Flyin' solo! ;-)
    I started out helping friends with their births, reading about it, watching videos, asking questions. Then went through a certification program. I considered joining a doula collective, but am not ready to leave my children with sitters that much. Going to a birth at any hour, for a short time or two days is hard on the doula's kids. There are doula groups & organizations, though, even some hospital-run programs.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:12 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• thats awesome i have always been intrigued by midwives and doulas and that type of thing..

how long was the certification program? and can you make this your actual JOB?
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:16 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• There are some that go for several weeks, but I did an intensive 4-day workshop-- but after there are requisite births to attend, required reading, evaluations, paperwork. It can take some women a couple of months to a year.

Sure, lots of women do this job exclusively. Depending on her (home life) responsibilities, she can have just a couple or several clients/month. I think it gets hectic for more than 4/month, though. But if a doula has a great "back-up system " then she can be more open & flexible.

For all the time invested, it's not a very good paing job, though. But who does this for the money?!? It is such a wonderful opportunity to help a woman through childbirth. If there is a paycheck then it's just a lovely bonus!!! ;-P
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:23 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• :) thats awesome i would love to do something like that. im more into natural and options of birth and everyday life and not JUST having to do things a certain way... and i think this is a great way to do it... ill probably look into it some more. :) thanks for the input!
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:25 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• how does doula get paid??? Just out of curiosity?
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 3:26 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• btw i think it's awesome too, but no natural child birth please for me, it actually hurts really bad :(
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 3:27 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• No problem, Kelso! :-)
    Doulas usually get paid by check (maybe in 2 increments-- or whatever is worked out). But I have heard some set up PayPal accounts. So who knows.

And rayray, if you would like help, you can find ways to birth with little-less-no pain AND have a natural childbirth.
    Natural does not equal horribly painful. ;-P

Understanding how to better work with the process and be more comfortable is definitely do-able. You can birth naturally, if you want. Having help is really important, though. How about a doula for you?? :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:33 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I'm studying to become a certified nurse midwife. I still have a long way to go, but I can't wait! I've seriously considered becoming a doula in the meantime, but with an infant, it's not really feasible right now, with the hours. I've been around birth for years, and have been fascinated with it my whole life. I got some experience in women's health while I was in the navy, and have helped with a few friends' births and pregnancies. I have read more books about pregnancy than I could count, and could talk about it for hours and hours. I think it's such a magical time, and I can't wait to be the person helping women bring their babies into this world!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:18 AM on Dec. 19, 2008