LET ME REPHRASE THE QUESTION

SO, EVERY YEAR I ASK MY HUSBANDS ENTIRE FAMILY WHAT THEY WANT FOR CHRISTMAS AND I ALWAYS BUY WHAT THEY WANT. MY FAMILY DOES THE SAME FOR MYSELF, MY DAUGHTER AND MY HUSBAND AND THEY GET US WHAT WE ASKED FOR. MY HUSBANDS FAMILY GOES OUT OF THEIR WAY TO BUY HIM AND MY DAUGHTER WHATEVER THEY WANT WHICH IS VERY NICE OF THEM, BUT EVERY YEAR-WHEN IT COMES TO ME, NOBODY FROM HIS FAMILY EVER ASKS ME WHAT I WOULD LIKE OR EVEN REALLY ACKNOWLEDGES MY PRESENCE, EXCEPT TO NAG AT ME. NOW, AM I JUST BEING UNGRATEFUL? OR WOULD YOU FEEL LEFT OUT AND LOOKED OVER THIS CHRISTMAS AS WELL? AND SHOULD I SAY SOMETHING TO HIS FAMILY OR JUST LEAVE IT ALONE AND SMILE POLITELY?

JANEDOE5683

Asked by JANEDOE5683 at 3:33 AM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Holidays

Level 1 (-5 Credits)
  • NO, you are NOT being ungrateful. THEY are being rude.

Knowing that, it's up to you to decide whether you want to be rude back or continue doing what you've been doing. I'd keep it up FOR THE KIDS only. It's too expensive to buy things for everyone.

Nagging at you? Humph. I'd skip the family celebrations.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:39 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Just smile and be polite. Be the bigger person it will come back and bite them sooner or later. Since becoming a mom the only person to get me anything is my mom which is fine with me as long as my kids have a good christmas then I am happy.

myzero

Answer by myzero at 4:00 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Yeah, this is the part where you learn that Christmas isn't supposed to be about the stuff you get or don't get.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 4:28 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• they ARE being rude. I would skip buying them a gift and buy yourself what YOU want :)
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:25 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Don't be rude back. Be your usual polite self. Sometimes for the sake of peace in a family we have to take the high road. Perhaps at some point it will dawn on them what a classy person you are. And if they don't, then you have the satisfaction of knowing it yourself.

Answer by Bmat at 12:10 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I know how you feel. Every year for Christmas Eve we go to my DH's grandmothers and then we see his dad again on boxing day to open gifts. He never ask's me what I'd like although I'm the one who asks him and makes the trip to the store and get's him what he wants. Unless my DH tells him what to get me I get things like a bath set that cost him less than $5 and in a sent that make's me sick, or a christmas trinket from the dollar store, I know that's where it was from because I saw it there! He pretty much whinned the last 2 years because we've limited how much we will do on the 3 days that all the family wants us to celebrate on. Other than that he ignores me. I don't mind we're at our house and I can busy myself doing other things.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 8:37 PM on Dec. 19, 2008