I am at the end of my rope with potty training, I will take any advice!

My son is 3 and a half years old and has NO interest in using the potty. We have tried the charts with stickers and they do not work, we have used the line big boys use the potty, does not work, I don't know what else to do. He knows when he needs to go, he will tell us. We take him to the potty and he just will not do it. We have a potty chair that sings, we have Bob the Builder seat that sits on the big potty. I just do not know what else to do. I have heard that boys are harder to potty train than girls but I did not know it would be this bad. I don't get mad at him because that will not help the situation at all. Any suggestions?

jordanmarie2000

Asked by jordanmarie2000 at 3:34 AM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No more diapers or pull ups! I know it sounds like it will be a chore but we had issues too and a teacher at his preschool suggested we stop with the pull-ups and let him feel his mess.

Well three days of cleaning up messes and he is potty trained. This after a year of trying to potty train him.

It is worth a messy shot, right? Just stock up on clean towels for him to sit on.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 3:37 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• HAVE YOU BOUGHT BOOKS THERE ARE GREAT BOOKS ON THAT TRY TO GET A FEW READ THEM TO HIM DURING THE DAY ! DON'T GET MAD HE JUST MIGHT NOT GET IT GO TALK TO HIS DOCTOR ! HAVE HIM WEAR SOME UNDERWEAR WHEN YOU ARE AT HOME HE WONT LIKE THE WET FEEL AS SOON AS YOU KNOW HE IS ABOUT TO GO BY HOW HE ACTS PICK HIM UP RUN HIM TO THE POTTY THATS HOW I DID IT WITH MY DAUGHTER !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:09 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• If he knows he's going then switch over to the real kind of pants, let him clean them out in the toilet after he uses them, and rinse him in a cool shower for cleanup. No more babying him with wipes and disposable pants. A few days of this and he'll decide the toilet is a nice compromise.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 4:26 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I have to agree with girlneffy on this one! I have a 4 year old boy and a 2 year old boy. I would get rid of diapers and pull ups. Pull ups to me are a waste of money. I think that the only thing they teach is how to pull their pants up and down. If my son-2 yr old-is in a diaper he'll use it bc its there. No other reason. He is in underwear during the day. The first few days are messy, BUT he understands and recognizes what he does in his underwear that should be done on the potty.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 9:01 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• That's how I was potty trained at 1.My mom said she took me out of diapers and put panties on me.I peed on myself ounce she said and after that it was history!!She said my sister was potty trained by me.If I went potty she went potty.I'm getting Trinity a potty for her b-day.She's going to be one!!
    T.A.B.mommy

Answer by T.A.B.mommy at 10:28 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Stop trying. Wait 3 months or so, let him forget about it. During those three months, let him see some of the benifits that potty trained Kids Enjoy. You need to wipe the slate clean and start over. Get rid of the potty chairs altogether, he needs to get used to a normal toilet unless you are planning on carrying it with you every where we go. Clear your house entirely of potty training stuff. When you decide it is the day, make HIM throw away ALL of his diapers himself (use a clean garbage bag and fish them out later when he doesn't see). Once you make that decision, no matter HOW bad you want to, do NOT go back to diapers. EVER.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 5:53 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I agree with stop trying. It is becoming stressful and consuming your days, right? THat's how I was with my first and when she got it, she got it...I didn't teach her. Keep the potty accessable and read potty books, ask him if he wants to go, but if he doesn't, just let it go....I learned my lesson with my first and training my second was a breeze because I didn't get myself all worked up.....seriously age of potty training is not a question on a college or job application!
    livandemsmamma

Answer by livandemsmamma at 6:33 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• my son did the same thing and one day i stopped trying. About 1 week later he told me he had to go and was trained after that with no accidents.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 10:10 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My almost 4 year old absolutely refused to go potty as well. Nothing worked, bribes, Thomas the Train potty chairs, reward stickers, nothing. I finally got so fed up, I let him go "commando". No diapers, pull-ups, underwear, zip. I told him he had a choice, either go on the potty or go on the floor. If he went on the floor, he would have to clean it up. After one accident on the floor, he started to use the potty. Just like that. I call it tough love, but it worked!
    mom_2byz

Answer by mom_2byz at 11:31 PM on Dec. 20, 2008