How to know your in labor...

So I know that everyone says you will just know when your in labor.. and sometimes you'll get lucky and your water will break or you'll leak something and it'll help you out.. But i've been feeling so weird and even if I was in labor I don't know if I would be able to admit it to myself let alone tell someone ... Like this happened the other day actually... My husband and I were in the middle of something.. and I like leaked stuff.. but idk what it was and i've been having cramps and so much pressure ... Did anyone else feel like the baby was getting ready to come or just hanging out... I'm 37 weeks and then some is this what it's suppose to be like when your getting close to the end?

Jan0609momma

Asked by Jan0609momma at 3:38 AM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Its so unture that you know... I did not know... my boyfriend basically had to drag me in... and the doctor had to tell me I couldn't go home before... and even after that it wasn't till they broke my water for me that I let my boyfriend call anyone because I didn't want people coming to wait for false labor LOL. But ya I had period like cramping almost just more intense... in my back and in my front and it just slowly go more intense. Sounds like to me you might be starting labor... :P It doesn't hurt to just have them check it out... but if the pains not bad... as in you could sit and relax and watch tv or take a nap... its probably not time to go in. But call them about the leaking... let them know whats going on. You can't be to safe when it comes to your baby.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 10:08 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Yeah, this is it pretty much! LOL Labor hurts. Contractions start in your back and wrap around you - and they get progressively worse. I cannot stay still during labor, I have to walk or rock. When it gets to the point it's taking your breath away, you are doing good. I labor naturally so I won't say it's some horrible intolerable pain, but it is hard. It's like cramps on steroids! When you hurt enough that you have to do something to get relief - like sitting in the tub or having the water run over your back in the shower - you are in labor. I've had contractions with all 6 of mine from 30 weeks on, and so far I've had a "false" labor with all of them also in the last week. I figure it'll happen this time too, but I'm just not there yet. After that comes something SO much more intense that I know it's real. The other is annoying. Labor takes all my attention.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 3:51 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I was in denial when my water broke. I had a slow leak all day that I woke up with, and I thought it was just urine (I had awful bladder control issues when I was pregnant). The problem was, I was still peeing just as often, and it was yellow, and the fluid was clear, then turned pink by the end of the day. When i saw pink, I told my hubby I thought it might be amniotic fluid. When we got to the hospital, we were thoroughly convinced we'd be sent home, so we didn't bring the bag, just a few things to keep us amused while they monitored me and checked my fluid. Sure enough, my hubby had to go home and get the bag, and 24 hours later, my son was here!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:21 AM on Dec. 19, 2008