Braxton Hicks

So I do not want to be the one to think i'm in labor and rush to the hospital just for them to send me home... I'm not even sure if i know exactly what they feel like but i was wondering if you feel it more in one spot or all over or both?

Jan0609momma

Asked by Jan0609momma at 3:45 AM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• BH contractions happen in isolated spots. Labor contractions happen all over at once - like a big wave motion from your back to your front. I think I just answered your other question about this so I won't write it all again. Suffice it to say that labor takes your total concentration and BH are just annoying pains that eventually go away. I've had them for 7 hours before, but they were just annoying and not progressively worse. In 7 hours of labor they would be worse! LOL
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 3:55 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I had BH a few days before I had my daughter and they came every three minutes, but they didn't hurt. I called the DR. and she said if you can breathe through them and they don't get worse, they aren't the real deal. If things just stay the same or go away, it's not real. YOU WILL KNOW!! I got so frustrated when people would tell me this, but honestly, you will know what's real!! It hurts! BH are just kind of annoying.
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 8:41 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• TRUST ME...if you are in true labor, you will know. I know, I know...you are nervous and excited. I thought the same thing as you when I was preggo. But, when I had my first real contraction at home, it literally hurt SO BAD that I fell to my knees, couldn't talk or walk during it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Lol I didn't go in when I was having real contractions because I thought they were the fake ones. I don't think I ever had fake ones... or felt them anyways. But the real ones for me started out as small pains almost like period cramps... in my lower back and front... they were just a little more intense then period cramps. The doctor told me that if I couldn't sleep through them that it was probably time to come in so thats when I went in... when it was 2 in the morning and I couldn't sleep. I also prefered walking when I was having them to because it made them feel better.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 10:02 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Some people don't get really intense contractions at first, so you may not just "know it" as people say. You may feel backache or crampyness. If you belly(and I mean your whole belly, not just one side or one part) gets hard every 5 minutes or less for at LEAST an hour, then you are in labor.
    I'll be honest, for me in the beginning, I had to physically feel my contractions by touching my belly in the early stages(until I was about 5cm).
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 10:51 AM on Dec. 19, 2008