How long should I try before I see my doc?

It's been about 6 months now, I'm only 21. When do I go to my doctor? Thanks!

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 3:46 AM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• It can take a year, but charting might help sooner. Have you tried charting? Read Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It's awesome! It may help you find that you aren't "trying" at the right time. If you haven't read it you will learn a wealth of info from it that will help you forever.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 3:57 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I will definitely read it, but we are having sex every other day.. so I don't think we can be missing the right time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:02 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• ^^ oops didn't mean to make that anonymous.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:05 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• That's probably true, but charting will show you things you didn't know you could learn. Really I think it's a must read for every reproducing woman! LOL Too bad I didn't write it!
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 4:08 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• One year is the time to see the doc.

Definitely pick up "Taking Charge Of Your Fertility." It helped us where a doctor did not.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:31 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Unless you are having irregular periods or pain or some other problem, you should try for one year before seeing your doctor. You could have a preconception appointment if your doctor does those, but the doctor will not do any tests or anything until after you have been trying for a full year. I agree with the other posters, you should become as informed about your fertility as possible. Charting is an excellent way to learn about your own cycle, and the information you gather might also be useful if you do end up needing medical help. Also, if you haven't already, start taking prenatal vitamins with plenty of folic acid; I don't think it will help you get pregnant, but it will give a baby the best possible start.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:35 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Usually after a yr. Like everyone else has said, try the books! If you still feel uncomfortable waiting a year then have a talk with your dr!
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 10:38 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• If you have been having sex e.o.d for the past 6 mos and you aren't pregnant, then I would def go ahead and set up an appt with your doctor. Taking charge of your fertility is an awesome book!!!!!! I recommend it too but would def not wait the year to talk to your doctor. Even if there is nothing wrong your doctor can get you on a prenatal and give you advice.
    lisab7982

Answer by lisab7982 at 3:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My Dr. said we had to wait one year. I did charting/temps & all that. Eventually I went online and used a fertility calender-that plus laying with my hips elevated (what fun!) I finally got pregnant after 15 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Ok, so maybe I'm the oddball out. I believe every woman who wants to get pregnant should see her ob/gyn or midwife right away. I believe you should be educated on everything before trying to get pg. They can help you learn what to look for, and help you with when to try and when not to, they are just full of alot of useful information! Then if you have problems, I'd wait 6 mos to a year. It may just be you are not ovulating. I'd definitely start doing the bbt and see what's going on. If you are charting, you can take your chart in to the dr in a couple of months and they can see exactly what's going on.
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 1:09 AM on Dec. 22, 2008