How can I get my son to talk normally?

Wayne is 5 n has to wear hearing aids. He can talk for the most part but stubbles n mubbles his words around alot because he cannot understand alot of things..he knows alil sign language but he dont like to do it. How can i help him? I go slow and try to help but he gets upset that he cant comprehend..

TN-FOOR

Asked by TN-FOOR at 5:06 AM on Dec. 19, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• just slow him down when he speaks. If he is stumbling tell him to repeat himself and go slowly
    davidsmom01

Answer by davidsmom01 at 4:01 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• He will probably never talk "normally". You need to focus on helping him find the communication method that is going to be most effective for his situation. Is he in speech therapy? They would help you to work on sign language as well as verbal speech with your son. Teach him to be accepting of his situation and start using sign language yourself if he can't understand your words.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 6:27 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Yes he is , n i do but he does not want to learn sign language. he wants to talk like the "other kids" n i told him for right now he cant n thats what makes him so special, i told him its ok mommy dont mind if he cant talk "normally" all that matters is that mommy loves you n that you love mommy!
    TN-FOOR

Answer by TN-FOOR at 11:18 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I would honestly ask some people who are deaf the answers to this question. I have a friend that can sign, however went through life reading lips and talked very well...however could not ever hear a word, even with hearing aids (I can't imagine why a child would be put in hearing aids if he still couldnt hear, seems redundant to me).
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 3:07 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• He normally signs all of the time to people who are deaf, but with the speaking world, he will speak, of course you can tell he is impaired when you talk to him. It doesnt bother people too much I guess, he seems to have no problems making and keeping friends, however his parents basically forced him to live in the speaking world, not a world made up of other deaf people. They mainstreamed him in school to avoid stereotyping, made him go to classes designed for the hearing, and he went to college, got a degree, and works a good job. His non hearing friends from that school class that went to "special" classes, are mostly currently unemployed and have menial labor jobs, and stick to "their own". Meaning they prefer to stay in the world they were raised in and not socialize with the hearing world unless they must. Kind of sad if you ask me.
    romanceparty4u

• Since he has a hearing loss, he should qualify for help through your school district. You are right: kids who can't hear language clearly won't speak clearly either. He is reproducing the sounds as he hears them. A speech therapist can work with him on particular sounds that are giving him problems, and can also give you some ideas for things you can do to help him. The kids at my stepmother's school work on lipreading skills to assist with understanding spoken words.

My stepmom has been involved in educating deaf children for 30 years. If you would like to PM me and tell me where you live, I will ask her if she could recommend a particular program in your area.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 6:53 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I would bring him to a speech therapist to help with that
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:24 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I agree about having a speech therapist help. My Dad is deaf though and speaks normally. He does not sign, he reads lips. If you are not facing him, he can not hear/see what you are saying.
    shiningsoul

Answer by shiningsoul at 5:11 PM on Dec. 20, 2008