Is a cracked Nintendo DS lite hinge fixed for free or do you have to replace the whole thing?

I am hearing conflicting info on this via the web and I need help fast. I bought 2 DS games for Christmas for my kids but their DS lites each have a cracked hinge. We have not had them too long. In fact this is my sons 2nd DS. His other one had a cracked hinge too and this one we have had for less than 6 months. They are not harsh on their systems so I am a bit miffed that I might have to replace, according to the web, the whole system. If you count both systems that is close to 200 dollars. Some of the info out there says you can replace them for free as it is a defect...some say it isn't a defect and you have to replace the whole thing. Help please!

upintrees

Asked by upintrees at 5:13 AM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Entertainment

• You do have to replace the whole things. I used to work at GameCrazy and they nor do any other gaming store fix broken systems. I don't even think you can send it back to the distributor. If you have old games lying around you can trade them in towards new ones but other than that, you'll have to replace the whole thing. Sorry...
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 5:34 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• You can try to tell them it's a defect but those companies are pretty skeptical. It's hard to get them to replace such an expensive item. They are always on the look out for people trying to cheat them (not saying you are). Unless it came like that they probably won't do anything. If you have warranties I'd call Nintendo and see what they can do. If you DO end up buying new ones make sure to get the year warranty in case something happens again.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 5:37 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Craptackular. LOL
    My son's first one was replaced through Nintendo. I suppose I will be calling their customer service again at some point, but after christmas. So MarlyeGirl, in your opinion is it a user issue or do you think it is the system itself being quite fragile?
    upintrees

Answer by upintrees at 5:37 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Well thank goodness I bought my first one from a coworker for 30 bucks. That is the one that broke on my son initially. The one he has now was a new DS that Nintendo sent us. I bought my daughters used from someone on craigslist in September who kept it in immaculate condition.
    upintrees

Answer by upintrees at 5:40 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I have one and my dumbass has dropped it sooo many times. I think it may have to do with the user. BUT mine doesn't have any damage to it and I've hurt it more than most younger kids would theirs. LOL. I haven't seen many problems with them so I'm thinking the ones you have MIGHT be defective. What color are they? The only problem I see with them is the games be fragile to impact. Mine fell off of the couch onto PLUSH carpet and my whole game file was erase!!!
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 5:40 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• WE have a black one and a pink one. The black one *might* be under warranty since that was a brand new one Nintendo sent me. The pink one, well I bought that from a nice lady off of Craigslist. My kids are 8 and 5. I have taken them away for about 3 weeks now because I don't want them to break all the way. With the pink one, it is just cracked. The black one, the piece of plastic has fallen off all the way.
    upintrees

Answer by upintrees at 5:44 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• i got a warranty for a yr...if something happens I return it and they FIX or if they cannot, they replace it.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 6:23 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• we went though the same thing 2 yrs ago this sucks we called the comp. and they said they would fix it but in the long run your better off to just buy another because by the time you send it back an forth and pay all there fees you could have bought a new one. ...yes thats a run on sentence don't like it don't look!
    kim168

Answer by kim168 at 6:43 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• call nintendo and ask them. i've had to send mine back to the factory for a fix before and I did have to pay for it, but it was my own fault I took so long to have it fxed and at that point it was older than a year. The point is they have really nice costumer service. I'm sure they'd be able to help. I found this on the website ...
    If your Nintendo DS is experiencing issues with the plastic housing (such as a cracked hinge), please contact our Consumer Service Department at 1-800-255-3700 so that we may provide you with repair options.
    geminishadow79

Answer by geminishadow79 at 8:04 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• This is good to know. We just bought a new DS and traded an old DS for another lite, so now I have two of them. I will keep an eye on them. I would be very pissed if they kept breaking. My kids aren't too hard on them either. Hope it all works out.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:53 AM on Dec. 19, 2008