Is this messed up or what?

So, I have a 5 year old dog. She came to me from someone I knew since high school. Well the dog has only one behavioral problem and that's she's horrible with call back and given the chance to take off she will. She has significantly improved in the last year that I had her though. Maybe she was just homesick and trying to get back being that's the direction she'd run. Well, I used to keep in touch with her former owner, because I thought maybe she'd eventually want her back when she had a house. Well, all of a sudden she stopped asking about the dog. Well, I come to find out her and her boyfriend decided to get a puppy. And she's always posting about how she's happy to finally have a well behaved dog she can let loose in the yard. She happy to finally have a dog who doesn't have accidents in the house...I have YET to have to clean up a mess. Well, like I kind of wonder now why she really got rid of the dog?

OneToughMami

Asked by OneToughMami at 4:45 PM on Jul. 21, 2011 in Pets

• I forgot to add...I was really under the impression that if she planned to get a dog she would have always came back for this one :-( I feel horrible because she used to ask me at least weekly how she was...
    OneToughMami

Comment by OneToughMami (original poster) at 4:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2011

• What a loser. At least doggie has a loving mommy now!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 4:47 PM on Jul. 21, 2011

• that is jacked up, but at least the dog has a loving home now
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 4:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2011

• She does...I lover her very much :-) She had a really good kitty friend her and when he passed away she was lonely...she'd sniff around for him and lay in his spot. So we went and adopted her a new friend. In fact she's in the yard right now (tied so she doesn't escape lol) playing in some water with her little friend lol
    OneToughMami

Comment by OneToughMami (original poster) at 4:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2011

• sounds like she wasn't ready for the first dog and perhaps she got him when he was a little older and had issues because of that...
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2011

• Dang. Glad to hear someone willing to take responsibility for her has her now! :)

Breaking callback issues are really tough with some dogs. My mom got a jack russell from her boyfriend's son when he was about 8mo old. He had never been out of the house or his lawn kennel off-leash, ever, so he had no reason to learn the command. My mom always freaked out when Gunner would bolt the door coming to greet us when we pulled up. She started taking him over to play fetch in a fenced in soccer field nearby, and he's learned that it's ok to be more than 5ft away without being yanked on or punished. As well, my mom has learned a valuable lesson in trusting him. Trust and confidence is all it took for him to learn to come when called.

Many people figure dogs are like livestock, when you're tired of feeding and choring, you can sell them off or give them away. Dogs are attached animals. They do have a sense of emotion. Only problem is
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:02 PM on Jul. 21, 2011

• From what I understand...she had her since she was 10 weeks. She spent a good deal of time in a kennel though :-( but like she told me this laundry list of behavioral issues...like the running (only problem I've every had...and she has been off the chain and only walked to my neighbor who gives her treats...of course he took her in and called me over.) but her other problems like I swear stopped. She did do like ONE really bad thing. The cat I had needed to have his urine monitored...I needed to count his clumps...well she ate them :-/ but we had her like a week so she was a little sketchy. I think the running issue was just too much on top of her never being with the dog. Maybe...I dunno...it's just weird
    OneToughMami

Comment by OneToughMami (original poster) at 5:05 PM on Jul. 21, 2011

• they don't have a sense of reasoning. I'm sure if they did, many dogs would leave these piss-poor excuses for owners and people like you and me would be bombarded with entirely too many! (As if we aren't already!)

Maybe don't say a word at all. She knows she was wrong. She will always remember that you were the one that took in the poor baby she couldn't handle, and that YOU made a home for her. Maybe she'll learn a lesson. And if not, bask privately in your achievement, because you know you can offer her a life no one else can!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:07 PM on Jul. 21, 2011

• She is doing decent on the call back...like I said she only jetted once and it was more a trot across the street. I found a better tie out for her...it's hard to explain it typing...I just switched them for my dogs. I have my little guy on a tie right now until the owners of the house next door decide to fix their fence...the last thing I need is them blaming him for the huge hole their tenants dug
    OneToughMami

Comment by OneToughMami (original poster) at 5:07 PM on Jul. 21, 2011

• It is that woman's loss and your gain. Your life is obviously filed with love.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:08 PM on Jul. 21, 2011