How should a kid usually be before going to a public school?

My son is 4 and I'm not really sure when he should go to school.Is there anyone who knows what the specific age is?Also is it better to home school your kid or is it better to put him in homeschooling?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:47 AM on Dec. 19, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The age cut off is different by state. Each school district also may have different options. In MI, the cut off is 5 on or before Dec. 1. My district offers D-K (developmental kindergarten). This is for kids who may be very young,with late b-days or who have additional needs of some sort. I don't advocate home schooling, but that is not because I am a public school teacher. My kids love the social side of school, and that type of education (problem solving, friendship, having different teachers with varying styles) is all part of growing up. Although I agree that parents are a child's #1 teacher, in a school setting I want someone trained and certified (just like I do for a doctor, lawyer, nurse, and many other jobs). I say, do your research, and make a decision based on what you, as the parent, thinks is best.  Check out your school district's website to find beginning level info. to some of your questions. 

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:58 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• For kindergarden they have to be turning 5 by a certain date, check with the school in your area to find out what that date is but there is nothing wrong with public school. My kids have been public school from the beginning and they love it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:33 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• The earliest they can go to regular kindy is 5, but they don't HAVE to go or be registered for school with the state until they are 6. Homeschooling is a good thing most of the time. Most public schools have their pros and cons as well. I would make this decision based on the attributes of your child. What would benefit them the most? Also, if you try public school and it doesn't work, then you can always choose to homeschool later on and vice versa. If you can take on the task of homeschooling, then great. My best friends kids went to their church two days a week for schooling. They were considered homeschooled but the church did a co op together and made their own little school out of it. The parent is still responsible for the education of the child, regardless of who does it.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:48 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Check with your local school district about admission age and about YOUR STATE'S rules on homeschooling; different states have different requirements for carrying it out.

I think homeschooling is a great thing for those who are disciplined enough to carry it out. I know I am not, so went with public school. In our case, that was the very best choice because the school determined that my son has Asperger's, and they've done so much to help him that I know I would not have been able to do.

Homeschooling would ever have been for us, anyway. He wouldn't have learned any math, since I'm a mathematical dummy.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:07 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• You can have a 3rd choice also. We are using a Virtual School. We home school but with using a VS we are in a public school. It keeps us on target but we can do it at our pace and still having a school keeping track of what the kids have learned.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 9:18 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I think exploring your options and talking to your local schools and the district office will help you better understand your options. I toured several of our top public schools, had a list of questions I came with, met the principal and some of the staff at each school. They answered my questions and I was able to get a better idea of what life for my son might be like if he were to attend those schools. Then I went to several private schools in my area and did the same thing. Even if you cannot afford to have your child at a private school I would encourage you to still look at several. The reason being that you may get a better idea of what the "perfect" school may be in your opinion. Then get to know some women who homeschool who share your similar points of view on education. The district in your area can tell you about ages and when to start schooling.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:26 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• cont...After I visited some private schools I realized that several of the public schools were a better option (IMO) than the private school I looked at. In the end I chose to go with a local Montessori Academy because I love their philosophy, environment, and the staff was very well educated. It starts at 18mths and goes to 8th grade. My son in two and attends a day program where he already is learning another language. I love it. But it is also expensive. I do know that several of the private schools were willing to give us scholarships because they wanted to have more diversity in their school. My son is AA. But in the end I could never have my son be the only black child in his class. Still ask about potential scholarships if you like a private school. They might be willing to work with you.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:31 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Dear Mom of 4 year old.
    After putting my two boys in a private christian school, I thought life could only get better. It was small and I felt the kids would receive great one on one attention. WOW what an eye opener I got. . The first questions my kids came home with wasnt so bad then things just started getting worse. I went thru and absolute hell , and it even caused stress on our marriage.
    .
    I pulled both of my children out and home schooled them which had it rewards but no interaction with other children and adults.
    My 2 boys and young daughter all attend a nearby public school where we are completely pleased, and feel we are getting a good education.. Always take the time to listen and ask questions. Volunteer if possible and communicate with other parents, it sure has saved me alot
    of agony the third time around.
    tobusy5

Answer by tobusy5 at 5:21 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• We homeschool and LOVE it! There is a support group in our community. Check out the local school district, they will tell you about the public schools and be sure to ask about home schooling regulations and if there are any homeschooling groups in your area. This is a descision only you can make for your family and don't try to please other people with it. We started exploring the different schools, public and private in our area when our dd was 4. If you choose to homeschool, there are tons of curriculums at all different budgets. We are using a mixture of several, just have to find what works for your teaching style and your child's learning style. Email me if you want to talk further!
    livandemsmamma

Answer by livandemsmamma at 6:40 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Each state's compulsory attendance age varies.  Some states require kids to be in school at 5 years old, and some require it at 7 years old.  You'll have to look up your state's age.

I homeschool and it's been a great experience for us. My kids are NOT social misfits. They play in sports, have playdates at gyms, and have friends.  When they're old enough, we're signing them up for scouts.  I don't believe that a child needs to be packed into a public school classroom with 30 other children to learn socialization skills.  It's silly to think public schools socialize when they are really keeping the kids contained in a classroom for 7 hours a day.  My kids are able to socialize in the real world with people of ALL ages.

This is a decision only you and your SO can make.  Just do some research.  Good luck! :)

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:01 AM on Dec. 20, 2008