When do babies start holding their own bottles?

My daughter is 9 months old and refuses to hold her bottle! She wont even hold her own sippy cup. The dr said "she knows what shes doing! She wants mom or dad to hold her and feed her." Which, totally makes sense. But its driving me nuts that shes not doing it yet because she'll be a year old soon here, and I want to make the transition into a sippy cup.

meganrst

Asked by meganrst at 5:08 PM on Jul. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well are u breast feedin? sometimes when u are breastfeedn for a long period of time, they wont start holdin their bottles til u teach them how.....some dont wanna learn on their own cause they think since u have been breast feedin that they dont have to nessisairly have to hold their bottle....
    JENNIFER_007

Answer by JENNIFER_007 at 5:12 PM on Jul. 21, 2011

• My twins started around 11.5 months. I think they overheard us talking about getting rid of the bottles!

Our pediatrician wasn't worried either. He said some babies never do it. I did give them sippies at meal time, and they did eventually start picking those up.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:14 PM on Jul. 21, 2011

• Im not breastfeeding at all. I bottle fed her since birth, so that cant be it.. I'll even show her how to hold her bottle and tip it along with her head, and same with her sippy cup - and she still wont lol. Lately tho, when shes playing, i'll put her bottle by me and i'll sit on the floor with her, and she'll crawl over to it, and put her mouth on the nipple and start sucking like shes trying to get the formula out, but shes not tipping it, so nothing comes out...
    meganrst

Comment by meganrst (original poster) at 5:19 PM on Jul. 21, 2011

• My son never did :) he fought it like you can't imagine.. he REFUSED.. lol!~ no worries, eventually your little one will hold the sippy too!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:22 PM on Jul. 21, 2011

• My twins were bottle fed from abnout 8 weeks on, so that wasn't really their issue either. They just associated their bottles with cuddle time. It would have been more convenient if they'd held their own bottles, but I was happy to cuddle with them. That time ends all too soon. You can try to force it, but really you've only got a few more months left now.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:24 PM on Jul. 21, 2011

• my nephew was well over a year before he finally held his own sippy cup. Never held his bottle. My oldest I was afraid something was wrong because she was 8 or 8.5 months before finally holding hers then found out later that some kids like mommy or daddy to do it for them. With my youngest she was I believe like 6 months when she held her bottle.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 5:27 PM on Jul. 21, 2011

• Every baby is different. My niece never held her own bottle, but she had no issue holding her own sippy cup. My son started holding his bottle around 4 1/2 months.
    pinkie8986

Answer by pinkie8986 at 5:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2011

• Our DD was about 9 months old when she started holding it herself. But that was only if it was 1/2 full or less. She was about 11 months when she could hold a full one.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 6:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2011

• DD wouldn't hold hers either until she was almost a year. The only reason I never pushed it was because she was NOT a cuddly baby (and isn't a cuddly toddler!) so when I fed her was the only time we got to sit down and snuggle. Even now at 19 mo's every once in awhile she will bring me her sippy cup and lay in my lap and drink it.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 8:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2011

• I know someone's baby doesn't want to hold bottles at all and he's a year and half. He wants mama or dada time, they usually hold him go to sleep at night. It's totally normal, kids like to depend on you.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 8:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2011