• In the Spotlight:

Okay so I have read that it's okay to eat/drink anything you want and you can still breastfeed,but i've also read that you should avoid certain things. What's the true answer?

My milk came in last night and I want to breastfeed my baby girl but all i've had to drink all day is mountain dew-is it safe or should i just forget it?

amber36532

Asked by amber36532 at 9:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i've been told it doesn't matter but with my daughter she had acid reflux with some stuff i was eating and i had to quit breastfeeding her my dr said i was probably eating too much spicy stuff
    ashleyk22

Answer by ashleyk22 at 9:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Remember this - everything you eat and drink so will your baby. Mountain Dew is loaded with caffeine. No soda - not even diet soda. Diet soda contains phenylalamine which is dangerous to a baby's growing brain. No spicy foods. Do not consume high volumes of sugar. You want to have a happy,healthy and calm baby.
    JuneL

Answer by JuneL at 9:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• This web site has some of what you're looking for... http://parenting.ivillage.com/newborn/nbreastfeed/0,,456z,00.html
    Talks about caffeine and such...it will stimulate your baby, but I don't think a day of that will hurt. The 'colostrum' will be great for her and then you can work on improving your diet. Anti-biotics and such are not good for her, and if you're on a birth control pill you'll want to check with your dr. I did the caffeine thing one day with my little girl and she seemed fine...no long term effects. Just don't do it all the time (lol). Have fun and good luck!
    chupachyps

Answer by chupachyps at 9:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• my mom said you shouldn't even eat chocolate.
    MommyMouse719

Answer by MommyMouse719 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Please go ahead and breastfeed. But in the future, remember that a newborn's body doesn't metabolize caffeine like yours does. It takes hours longer for her to get rid of the caffeine, so she'll probably be fussy and awake for a while.
    Don't put anything into your body that you wouldn't put into your newborn's body. Sorry, but that's best.
    Cadreysmom

Answer by Cadreysmom at 9:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• I think it is more of a learning process to find out what your baby reacts to in your milk. A little caffeine every once in awhile is just fine...in moderation. However, it is important to eat a fairly balanced diet. It is recommended to consume about 3,000 calories a day. Drinking water is important to keep you hydrated, which also helps your milk. SOME babies react to chocolate and spicy foods. You might not have to avoid them though. People in ohter countries have spicy foods in their diets and breastfeed just fine. It is sort of trial and error. The biggest food allergies and reactions with infants are dairy (milk) and soy. My son is allergic to dairy, so I have eliminated all dairy products from my diet.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 10:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Parenting differs greatly from mom to mom.
    While I breastfed my 2, I felt strongly that caffiene might harm them from what I had read and did not drink caffinated drinks. Same while I was pregnant.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• You should watch what you eat and drink while you breastsfeed. You know the same old rule, no alco and no smoking or drug(unless doctor prescribe). What you eat is what your baby eats.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 10:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Sorry to add to the debate but I have four very normal and healthy youngsters that were breastfeed and my doc said anything goes as long as we both tolerated it well. I even consumed my diet drinks on an almost hourly basis. Good luck with finding the answer that best fits you...
    wondermommy5

Answer by wondermommy5 at 10:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• I never cut anything out when I breastfeed unless it bothers by baby. I even have the occasional alcoholic drink. Do what your comfortable with. Like others have said, everything you put into your body goes into your milk and to your baby, so just be concious of what you eat or drink.

Also...drink lots of water. The more you drink the more milk you'll produce!
    luvnmy3kid

Answer by luvnmy3kid at 10:36 PM on Jul. 13, 2008