How do I change my 4mos old bedtime?

He has little 30 minute naps every 2 hrs during the day, then a long 3 hr nap between 3-6pm, but then he's usually up until 11-12am. He makes it between 6-7 hrs sleeping through the night now, but I'd like to adjust his schedule so that he goes down earlier. How do you get a happy, smiling awake baby to go to sleep without listening to screaming? I'm trying to stick with attachment style parenting so I'd rather not let him cry it out. I"ve fallen in to a bit of a trap by nursing him down a lot of the time...............

wadesmum

Asked by wadesmum at 9:28 AM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think I would try waking him up a little early from his long nap each day and then trying to put him to bed that much earlier that night. SO maybe if he goes down at 3:00 wake him at 5:30 and try to put him to bed at 10:30. I would probably try to have him take a 90 minute nap for his long one so he is tired at bed time.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:25 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• You don't at this age they are still on their on "schedule" and you just have to go with the flow. Keep in mind that a full night for an infant is 5hrs so you are getting 1-2 hrs longer then a babies full night sleep=-)

Just give it some time and you will sleep again. Probably not until they are married and have kids of their own (worried about dating, then if things are going well at college, etc.)
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 9:55 AM on Dec. 19, 2008