When should I get it??

I had my daughter on September 23. I nursed her until she was 3 weeks. I went for my 6 week appointment and got back on birth control. I chose to use the depo shot. It's been about 6 weeks since I've gotten the shot. Should I have gotten my period? Am I even supposed to get my period? Anybody who has used this form of birth control after having a babywould be of great help. Thank you :-D.

ashleereann

Asked by ashleereann at 9:31 AM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Health

• Some, not all, women stop getting a period with the Depo. So it is likely that you are one of those women. If you are woried take a prego test just to easy your mind... They are $2... Not much if it will make you feel better.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:37 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I got a period shortly after getting the shot but it was weird because I bled alot (fro a week) but didnt have any cramping or fatigue or bloating or anything and beleive yuo me, I'm not complaining! When I was on depo prior to pregnancy I didnt have a period for 2 years. Depo is 99.9% effective with prescribed use and 99.7% effective with typical use (being late getting a shot) once you stop depo it can take up to 9 months for fertility to return so it is VERY unlikely you are pregnant. My guess is you are one of the 60% of women who dont get a period when they use depo (LUCKY YOU!) As long as you feel okay I would consider it a blessing! But if you start to feel crappy or get weird symptoms call your doctor
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 9:58 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I used Depo before and after having had my 3 babies. I didn't have my period before and based on that and that I am still nursing my dr say's I'm not likely to get my period unless I go off depo.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:04 PM on Dec. 19, 2008