Should I do this or not?

I have a friend who offered me a once in a life time opportunity to make money.
I am not interested but I can't seem to tell them that. It is one of those... tell a friend and they'll tell 5 friends and so on (you know like a pyramid) I am not interested I know they mean well they even said it helps them out financially with the family.
And they just wanted to share it with us. Help! (I don't like to be rude)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Money & Work

• Instead of joining this pyramid (scam), "job opportunity,"  I would bow out gracefully and just tell them that you are not comfortable with joining a program you are unfamiliar with, do not have the time or money to invest (yes, investing IS a requirement!), BUT if the program helps them financially, and they really need the help, is there something YOU can do DIRECTLY to help them out financially (offer to babysit, cooks some meals, help them to afford something they really need, etc.), instead of participating in a program that you are leery of--especially if it is Amway/Quixtar related!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:48 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Tell the truth. "I'm not interested."

A former colleague of mine just pitched ACN to me last month. It requires a $499 buy-in. I hated to tell her no, but I wouldn't have dne it even with a $4.99 buy-in. I was honest with her and she was fine with that.

These MLM folks know they won't get everyone.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:48 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• If you don't want to do it then don't. Peraonally it sounds fishy (there are so many of those "companies" arund...they usually wind up scamming you IMO). Let her know your reason for not wanting to do it. Just becuse you're friends doesn't mean that you have to agree on everything. If she's a good friend then she'll respect your decision just as you respect hers.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 9:50 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• It's called a "scheme" for a reason. Tell them politely no, and not to ask you again.
    beforeyoureyes

Answer by beforeyoureyes at 9:58 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• NO! If you are thinking about it at ALL do some research on the company and talk to a few people that are already involved. Make sure you are not getting in to something scammish... Make it very clear you don't want to do this and if they push tell them again. "This is not for me. I'm glad you like it but I'm not interested!"

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:06 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Just say you don't like to mix business and pleasure and you value your friendship too much to put it in jeapordy by becoming a part of her business. Or I just dont have the time to do this right now. I have heard about quixtar and yes it is a legit program but it inovolves ALOT of work and ALOT of contacts with strangers to build it not to mention the $200 start up fee and the $5 fee to attend meetings. The reality is for the amount of time you put into this business endeavor you could make just as much at an hourly job working the same amount of hours because of the overtime you would put itn. I have also seen this business change people for the worse. cont
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:18 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Friends become dollar signs and its all about getting people to sign up and buy $9 tubes of toothpaste online to get a 25 cent check in the mail. Be honest but be nice. People who sign up for these kinds of things should know it is always hardest to sell to your family and friends and that should not be revenue they are counting on. And be careful this business ruined one of my friendships because like I said the woman stopped seeing me as a person and started seeing me as a dollar sign. It was pretty hurtful
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:19 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• She put you on the spot....even said it would help her out financially....so how can you feel bad politely telling her that you don't do those sorts of things. It is nothing personal.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:53 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• dont do it
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 7:51 PM on Dec. 20, 2008