Heart Murmur

A doctor just told us our 16 month year old son has a heart murmur. His peditrician never mentioned anything. Does anyone know anything about heart murmurs or know why it might have been missed before this.

Thanks

MAUREEN55

Asked by MAUREEN55 at 9:51 AM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Health

• Oh, your poor little dude!

I am so sorry and totally did not mean to make it sound like you had taken to him a doc who works out of van down by the river.

I hope that 2009 brings healthy things!!!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:52 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My son was 4 years old when his pediatrician told us he had a "functional heart murmur", basically no need to worry he just has his own beat in our sons case, but sent him for all the "old guy heart tests" because of my fathers heart history. They said it is fairly common to not pick up on it earlier, or for the child to develop it.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:57 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I was 15 when they found mine. It's no big deal! I just can't drink stuff like Red Bull. Otherwise there is no issue. They said then that there was a chance I would grow out of it, most kids do. I don't know if I did. But I am still careful.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:19 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I wasn't told that I had one until I was around 14 years old. Mine is cause by a (very common)heart valve malfunction. I'm fine unless (as a PP mentioned) I drink alot of caffeine or if I'm really stressed out. I've had all kinds of tests done (EKG's, Holster moniters, stress tests, etc.) and see a cardiologist every few years just to be sure it's not getting worse. But it could be caused by any of a number of things, so I would recommend talking to a pediatrician about it in-depth to try to find the cause. It's quite possibly nothing at all to worry about, though.
    amy_k_in_pa

Answer by amy_k_in_pa at 2:34 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• What do you mean "a doctor" told you?

This isn't your son's normal doc? Are you getting a second opinion?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:08 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Answered at 3:08 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 by: Wimsey What do you mean "a doctor" told you? This isn't your son's normal doc? Are you getting a second opinion?

We took him top specialist today for an unrelated issue. This doctor has only seen him twice. He goes to an ENT next week and the doctor today suggested we have him check it and his regular pediatrician. I'll definitely get a second opinion.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:43 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• van down by the river.
    Hilarious!  I haven't heard that in years :)

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:01 AM on Dec. 20, 2008