are cats safe when your pregnant and with a newborn

i am 12 wks pregnant and wanted to get a kitten for my 2 and 3 year old

ashleyk22

Asked by ashleyk22 at 9:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2008 in Pregnancy

• my doctor said since i've been around my cat for along time that it would be okay as long as i dont change it's litter box. but if your not used to being around cats i'd ask your doctor.
    MommyMouse719

Answer by MommyMouse719 at 9:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Just don't change the litter box. You'll have to have someone else do that.
    Cadreysmom

Answer by Cadreysmom at 9:48 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• The cat is gonna be fine.
    What you and the baby need to watch out for is the litter box. DO NOT CHANGE A LITTERBOX WHILE PREGNANT, any of you ladies. It can cause severe damage to the unborn baby.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Yes, although there are a couple of things to be careful of. DO NOT clean the litter box. Have someone else do it and make certain it's in an obscure area like a basement or bathroom you may not use very often. Also, after the baby is born, lay a blanket on the floor. It must have your baby's scent on it. Allow the cat to smell it for awhile to get used to having the newborn in the house. Make certain the kitten/cat stays off the beds and away from the bassinette/crib. They like to snuggle in the warmth around the child's neck- this can cause suffocation.
    Hope this helps.
    JuneL

Answer by JuneL at 10:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Kitty especially can get this intestine worm real easy, it can even passed on from their mother ( unborn kitty too). I sugges you take the kitty to the vent to check it out before bring he or she home, it is no fun to watch a sick kitty. A lot of kitties get worm and hard to cure, they die from it most of the time.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 10:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• The worm is harmful for you and your fetus. However, if you can have someone to clean the litter box for you, it can be fine.
    yoshiki56

• yes and wear plastic gloves to change litter or wash up well afterwards!
    Momchipomkids

Answer by Momchipomkids at 10:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• I have 8 cats and 3 kittens and as long as you stay away from the poo it will be fine :)
    Anonymous

• check out toxoplasmosis.. i think is what it's called. I got a kitten while pregnant and i changed it's litter box myself. the reason why you should have a cat is because they can carry a deadly disease. i dont rememeber alot of it but the cat will get it outside. If you want to reduce the risk of this don't let the cat outside (thats what i did) take it to the vet. Ask the vet to do the toxo test. make sure the cat is dewormed and has all of it's shots. the illness kills infants the old .. cats can get immune. do yur research and do what you believe is right... thats what i did and i have a VERY healthy happy baby and a cats thats almost a year old now. if you have other questions i freaked out about the whole deal and i'll look up all the info again for you if you like!
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 11:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Everyone is correct about not changing the litter box. DO NOT DO THAT! I always had my hubby do it (and he hated the cats!)
    I just wanted to add, my grandfather always said the cat would hurt the baby, and lots of people buy into that old wives tale, but I beg to differ. I have had 3 kids and with each of them I have had a cat in the family. The cat has always loved, respected and protected my babies just as a dog would. Just keep in mind, you always need to be aware...animals are just that, but don't be afraid. (JUST STAY CLEAR OF THE LITTER)
    kristen_p

Answer by kristen_p at 12:43 AM on Jul. 14, 2008