Did you have to go to a charity for help w/ christmas?

I did and i feel so bad about it,we don't have the money. My dh lost his job an he got a new one and the money is not there it's driving me crazy.I mean not having the money 4 anything to give our familys for x-mas.I know it's not what you buy that makes a good christmas,but we are used to giving out great gifts.Now we can't get anything even for my own children, it sucks...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Money & Work

• our county has a program called spirit of christmas for low income families. Have you considered maybe getting hooked up with your local freecycle group via yahoo? I got soem toys for my baby on there for free. You could also just bake cookies as gifts for adults or simply say "We cant afford it this year" How often do yuo as an adult ever really get a gift from another adult that is really exciting. 90-% of the gifts I get from adults are things I COULD have bought for myself but didn't...for a reason. I love getting baked goods as christmas gifts because nothing beats a home baked cookie and we all know someone elses cooking always tastes better
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:08 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I am grateful we didn't have to get help from charity and feel very blessed! You shouldn't feel bad because you hit a rough spot thats what charity is there for.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I had to get some help from charity. I have a 4 year old son, I am not working, I just finished school, and get no child support from his dad. So I had to do what I had to do to make sure that he would have something for Christmas. I would not have been able to do it without the help from the Cowboy Santa Program. I am very grateful and I appreciate everything that they have given to him. Please do not feel bad about it, when you are a mother and not working and have no to very little income it is ok to ask for help. I already let the adults know that times are hard, and they know that I do not have the income to go all out and get gifts for everyone else. I believe that the adults will understand. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL :)
    Anonymous

• I UNDERSTAND HOW YOU FEEL. I HAVE FOUR CHILDREN AND ABOUT $300 TO SPEND ON PRESENTS AND GROCERIES.
    Anonymous

• I was invited to the womens shelter christmas party and they have us pick gifts out for eachother at no cost. So I suppose that would be charity? My daughter also got a few gifts from her school. The teachers gave one to all the parents to give to the child themselves. I dont think I am going to buy her any more gifts.
    san-1

Answer by san-1 at 9:27 PM on Dec. 19, 2008