Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please give advice!!!!!!!!

I live with my babies father my SO...but we are not married. What do we do come tax time? Let me give you a little back ground...I did this pregnancy on my own, he walked out but we worked things out, and things are great now. So I feel I should claim her because I paid for everything of hers to get her here from her crib to clothes and everything in between! BUT he makes more money and I know we would get more back if he claimed her, but we keep our money totally seperate and I am scared he would just get it all. What would you do????

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Relationships

Answers (9)
  • You claim her, you're the Mom. He wasn't there and you have supported her more then 50%, correct? That's protocol if you asked a court who ever had custody over 50% of the time gets to claim her.


    Answer by Navymama at 10:07 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

  • Claim your own child therefore you have not doubts you'll get your full taxes. Since you are not married you will file as single with one child. Has your SO been claiming her as a dependent since she was born this year on his taxes? If so and he does not claim her at the end of the year he may not get as much money back.

    Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:08 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

  • honestly i would calim her your self .if you did everythigand you keep your money sepreate then there you go claim her your self ..and if anything happens and you guys slpit up and he calims her that mite cause problems later

    Answer by britme1027 at 10:09 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

  • Honestly, I would claim her. You paid everything for her. So you should be able to get that money back. Plus, the following year, you may have trouble trying to claim her if he claimed her this year. Have you guys lived together more than 6 months this year? If not, he has no right to claim her. You have to have lived with the child in your home for 6 months or more.

    Answer by Justice828 at 10:09 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

  • To add my baby is only 3 months if that matters???

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

  • I would claim her. I'm not trying to be negative - but if things DON'T work out for your and him -- I wouldn't want him to have record of financial responsibility claiming her on his taxes to argue for more custody.. etc.

    Answer by Serafyna at 10:25 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

  • In some states if you filed for taxes together you were common law, and if you have a child together and live together you're common law married...
    I'd ask a tax office about the pro's and cons both ways to make a good judgement.

    Answer by lisa_ann_p at 10:29 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

  • its your child you claim her and if he is on his best behavior you can throw him a bone if you want to.....i know from experience, me and my baby daddy lived together and we actually kept our money together (mostly cause he didnt work so it was all my money) come tax time i claimed my son and bought stuff for the house and paid bills, when we split i was nice enough to give him half of what i got back for our son, well last year i wasnt working and he was so we talked and i agreed to let him claim our son and do you think i seen any of that money.....HELL NO!!!!! you claim your child, you did the work, you paid for her , you deserve that money

    Answer by cobysmom151 at 11:02 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

  • You should claim her, don't worry about him making more money and getting more b/c there'll be a chance he won't give it to you!

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.