Am I being insensitive?

My sister is 17 and was dating a guy for about four months. They recently broke up because they want different things. Well she is totally depressed and will hardly eat or sleep. I hung out with her yesterday and she was no fun at all. I am trying to be sympathetic but when her last boyfriend broke up with her she did the same thing. She walks around acting sad so that people feel bad for her. She told me before that she likes when guys break up with her cuz then she doesnt have to eat and she loses weight. My parents dont see that this is probably just a show she is putting on. Should I just feed into this and give her support? Or should I just not give her attention on this and wait till she gets over it? She just loves attention and think this is another way to get it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Relationships

• At 17yrs old every thing in life can "feel" so dramatic and like it's the end of the world. I would not feed into it but let her know simply that, "I'm sorry you're upset but I know you'll be okay." I'm sure with time she'll get over herself and the situation.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:24 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Sense you know the truth about it. Don't give her any attention .

Answer by louise2 at 10:25 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• The weight thing concerns me.... teenagers are so dramatic, and it does hurt (haven't forgotten how I wished I could just die because he didn't love me anymore).
    Back to the weight tho... sounds like she's using the breakup/s as an excuse, and it's sending red flags waving high and fast that she may have eating disorder. Talk to your parents, it can cause so many problems later in life, from bad teeth, infertility, major organ problems.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 10:27 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I just feel like people look at me like I dont care. For some reason other people cant see through her. I dont want to seem like I am insensitive but at the same time it drives me crazy. Like tomorrow my mother and I were suppose to finish up Christmas shopping and instead my mom has to take my sister to see a counselor. Apparently everytime she breaks up with someone she has to see a counselor. Its just annoying!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• She may have abandonment issues which will cause an overly dramatic reaction to break ups. My family used to call me the drama queen. I would think I would die when guys broke up with me. I'm not that bad now but it's still an issue and it takes me forever to get over a break up but I've learned to work on that. It's a grieving process. It's grieving the death of a relationship. Just love her. She will work through it. Try eating something she likes in front of her. She might give in and take "just a bite" but it might help get food in her. I'm a sucker for chocolate. My friends know how to make me eat when I go through that. They stop over with my favorite food. Sneaky but it works for me! Let her be dramatic. She's sharing how she feels. It will fade away until the next one comes along. (I know that first hand!)

Answer by admckenzie at 10:44 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Give her the attention. She only has one more year of that crap and she is going to be out in the real world with real problems. Let kids be kids! I wish I could still mope around because of my bad hair days or because so and so "said he doesn't like me"!!
    LilMae.N.MDJr

Answer by LilMae.N.MDJr at 10:52 AM on Dec. 19, 2008