My son will be 5 months when he goes to daycare. And I can't stop crying. I can't imagine being without him. I cry even as I write this. What positive things can I say to play in my head that will make this alright? Thanks :(

momof2boys423

Asked by momof2boys423 at 9:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2008 in General Parenting

• Hopefully you checked out the daycare and know its a good one. I've worked in Day cares to let me tell you: 1) 90% of the time kids only cry while you are there. If they see you peek in they cry. When you are gone they have fun or are okay. 2) they will call if the crying is unstoppable and unconsolable 3) they will call if he gets hurt 4) he will benefit from interaction of other babies (even at 5 motnhs) 5) you will benefit from the time away from him 6) day care doesn't make you a neglectful mom...at least you didn't leave him a hot car all day while you worked like I see on the news. 7) at 5 or 6 the baby will be a child and in school all day anyway, eventually they leave you all day unless you homeschool.

((hugs)) it will be okay, and just know you can always reverse the desicion by staying home or switching daycares if after a couple of weeks you decide it was the wrong choice and there still won't be any harm to your child (hopefully).
    seakla

Answer by seakla at 3:51 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Why do you have to go back to work? Do you think your SO would consider giving you more time at home?
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:15 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• You must have to be back to work. How old is your baby now? May be you will be appreicate the quiet time when he is 5 month old and goes to daycare.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• just remember it is socializing him, he'll learn to be dependant at the daycare and it helps him to go to preschool or kindergarten when he can let go of you. good luck. my two were the same way. my youngest hid under a blanket and gradually worked up to climbing on someones lap at church nursery. they let her decide what she did at her own pace. churches can be very good daycares.
    Momchipomkids

Answer by Momchipomkids at 10:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• My son is 3 months now, I have until the end of the summer with him at home. And I have to work for $$$.
    momof2boys423

Answer by momof2boys423 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• I agree with Momchipomkids....but I would like to add as a stay at home mom, there will come a day when you will be greatful for a break! My kids are 13, 4 & 2 1/2 and I stay home. Granted those first months are so precious and you can't get enough, but every Mom needs a break. I, personally, do not like working outside of the home. My job is a mother and a wife, but there are SOOOOO many days I question that! Wouldn't it be great to be the Daddy and go to work all day...
    It is hard, I did try it. But in the long run it is going to be best for your baby and you!
    Good Luck.
    kristen_p

Answer by kristen_p at 12:37 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• positive thing's to make you feel better is check into everyone's history at that day care ask for referances you can't trust people these day's then you can feel better
    sillybabys

Answer by sillybabys at 12:46 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Stay home if you can. In the long run it may cost just as much for transportation, daycare, wardrobe...so basically you may spend as much as you make simply by going to work. Maybe you could get certified to do home daycare or be a phone psychic (seriously, a trained monkey could do it). Figure out what your values really are and stick firm.
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 12:59 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Bring him to my house. I'll watch him for you. I don't like daycares anyway. I've got nine grandchildren. I wouldn't let my kids or grandkids go to one until they were old enough to tell me if someone hurt them! LOL I also taught them to tattle as did my mother. Actually, I'm sure he'll be fine. Some daycares have webcams where you can watch them while you are at work so make sure they are ok. Some let you stop by and check on them. Just wait until he starts school. THEN you will cry big time. Then when he graduates HS and leaves home for college. OMG, we moms do a lot of crying!

Answer by admckenzie at 1:20 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Kristen_P...I am "the daddy" in the sense that you mean (my husband works too) and while the break is nice there are days I long to stay at home! lol At work I have a whole new set of responsibilities and am accountable to someone else for 8 hours. Sometimes it like having a 2nd husband and 2nd family. And when works stresses me out sometimes it can come home with me. So there are benefits and drawbacks to both SAHM's and working moms. :-)
    seakla

Answer by seakla at 3:53 PM on Jul. 16, 2008