Raising kids... Are you like...

Are you like your parents or more lax or harsh? Is there anything you promised yourself you would do differently than you parents did?

watersgirls

Asked by watersgirls at 10:57 AM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I was like my mother in that I required good manners and respect. I made sure they listened to me as their mother...."ruler of the kingdom" haha. BUT....I was much more emotionally involved.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 11:07 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I had a wonderful mother..very betty crocker or martha stewart...but I am a bit closer to mine emotionally. There were defenite mother daughter boundries between us. I do not act like my childrens friend...they are respectful and well mannered. I would just say they feel they can come to me easier than I could with my mom. My dad was a believer in coporal punishment. I have on occasion spanked my kids on the butt...but I can count on one hand the amount of times I have done it. I think time out works better for us. I just don't get into that whole spare the rod spoil the child excuse. However..anyone watching Super Nanny has probably said wow that kid needs a good ole fashioned butt whoopin!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:17 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I'm not an abusive, egomanical, manic depressive, crazy person. So i'm nothing like my mother and I swore to myself on the day my oldest was born I would never do the things my mother did to me. However there were some things she did do when she was'nt being psychotic that I borrow in my own child rearing.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 11:21 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My parents were the best ever and i reckon they brought us up brilliantly but i like the way i bring up my kids which isnt much different.
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 11:39 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• i'm the same as tat2edmommy (minus the manic depressive part),
    i learned what NOT to do from my parents
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 11:40 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My mom did a great job, but I won't put my children in the positions that I was put in at a young age (being latch key at 7 and my sis was 5). I will be there for my children when they get home from school no matter what I have to sacrifice, but there are things that she did that I do.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:23 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My parents were too laid back with me they used to let me drink and smoke before I was of age. That won't happen with my kids.
    LND

Answer by LND at 2:21 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My parents were also too laid back. When I think of all the things they let me do (eat ding dongs for breakfast, drink soda at age 8, stay up till 11pm when I was like, 7), I can't believe it! I will def. not be so lenient with my daughter and hopefully be more involved in her education. Mine just sorta dumped me off at school and expected I get straight A's with no real participation.
    Anonymous

• me and my [arents are like day and noght when it come to pratening my mom would let me do what ever i want and my so called father was a dirt bag may i add but was wayy to mean a abusevie and everything i said i would not do inever did! and will never do!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:29 AM on Dec. 21, 2008