My six month old ALWAYS cries...

He hasn't had this problem since he was a newborn. He's always been happy but for some reason lately, he cries and goes on these rampages. He does it when I change his diaper, clothes, put him in his carseat, feed him, you name it. Its wierd and I don't understand it. Whenever I lay him down to change his diaper/clothes, the first thing he does is cry. It isn't like a painful cry, but like a tantrum cry. Is this a stage or what?

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 11:04 AM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I odn't know, neither of my children nor my friends babies have done anything like that. Perhaps someone else here has had a similar situation but my suggestion would be to call your doctor and explain it to them. They're may be an underlying issue.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Tell your childs doctor and get there opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Probably... My baby has gotten very sassy and demanding and shes the same age. But you might want to let your doctor know just to be safe. My baby hates her carseat and getting her clothes changed... so those to I can confirm are normal... but not wanting to be fed? Thats weird lol teething maybe?
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 11:33 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My son went through bouts of crying around 6 months. We figured out it was teething and once we got him oralgel (I only used it for night) and gave him cold teethers and towels before he ate, he seemed to calm down for feeding. If he started being really fussy for feedings, I would put the bottle down, walk around with him a little (check out the window, mirrors, etc) then come back and try again. Sometimes he just needed to calm down a little more before he ate. Couldn't figure out why but it seemed to work.
    angelayang

Answer by angelayang at 11:41 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• But I have to say my son (9 mths) still cries when I put him in the carseat, or change him/put clothes on him. It's a fussy cry but he stops soon afterwards. Knowing him, he just doesn't liked to be strapped down to anything. I just always have his favorite toys on hand to distract him (definitely need it for the car rides), which usually work. Try putting a mirror or mobile above the changing pad and put his clothes on while facing a mirror. That might work. Double check with your Ped though if he's been doing it since he was a newborn. Good luck!
    angelayang

• does he stop crying when you hold him?
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:52 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My 6-month old is doing the SAME thing! I'm at my wit's end!!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:52 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Thank you PP, I felt guilty for feeling this way but I'm sooo glad I'm not alone.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:59 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My 2 yr old did the same thing...they can be stinkers even at that age...they just don't want to be bothered with getting messed with. I have 5 kids and only my 4th did this. He loves getting undressed for bath...but other than that pitches a huge fit when it comes to getting dressed or changed. Unless we put his shoes on then he knows he is going bye bye and he loves that. I think it is just a stage and will pass as he matures and figures out all the bitching in the world is not going to get him out of getting a diaper change.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:48 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I think you're right. I really think he's doing it so he does't have to lay down/being strapped in somewhere. I can tell its not a "newborn" stage.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 3:07 PM on Dec. 19, 2008