2 cm dilated and 50% effaced???

I went to L&D last night cause my contractions were about 5 minutes apart. But when they checked me they said i was 2 cm and 50 % effaced. then they checked me again in an hour and nothing changed. What does that mean?? The 50% effaced> Does that mean i am getting close and maybe how close. I am 39 weeks today.

babyzawojskyj08

Asked by babyzawojskyj08 at 11:37 AM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• The effacement means the thining of your cervix, your halfway there mama congrats!!! As you get more and more efaced your water will end of breaking and then the contractions to dilate will really come, I am wagering to say your going to have a baby in the next 48 hours but I could be wrong GL
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 11:40 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Effacement is shedding the mucous that's been keeping your cervix nice and closed for the past nine months. If you're 50% effaced, that means that your cervix has thinned out to half the size it was to begin with, and you've shed 50% of the mucousy crap that's keeping it closed.

You could go any moment, or you could be like me and still be sitting here waiting for something to happen. I'm 2cm and 75% effaced, and I'll be 40 weeks tomorrow. I haven't had ANY contractions whatsoever though, so who knows. I guess it's a race to the finish line, lmao. You could go before me or I could go before you. Either way, your baby will come when it's ready =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:41 AM on Dec. 19, 2008