How can I get purple fingernail polish out of a light pink and cream rug?

My daughter spilled purple fingernail polish on the new rug in her room! I'm freaking out a lil cause I paid more than I wanted for a rug for her. I have tried polish remover but it didn't even work a lil and soap and water that didn't do anything either. I'm scared to try other stuff I don't wanna ruin it. Any advise? The rug is light pink and cream and I'm scared I'm gonna mess it up! This happen a couple days ago so its dry now I dont know it that makes a diff or not?

SharonMosher

Asked by SharonMosher at 9:58 PM on Jul. 13, 2008 in Home & Garden

• Can you cut it out, put furniture over it, or use bleach?
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:12 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Have you tried pure acetone? Not sure if that would damage the rug, might ask at a paint store to be sure.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• To avoid this in the future, might I suggest supervision and putting chemicals (that includes nail polish..it can be dangerous!) up where they can't reach or in locked cabinets.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Don't you love it when someone doesn't answer the question but decides to give sage advice anonymously when I'm sure you have figured out what to do to keep that from happening again? That's why the old adage Hindsight is 20/20 is so popular!

Answer by admckenzie at 1:12 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Acetone polish remover. The longer you wait the harder to remove it.
    Anestasia

Answer by Anestasia at 1:17 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Yeah some people are just like that. But I dont really care I was in the room w/ her when it happen anyway I was actually painting her toenails for her and had it set to the side and her other foot accidentally hit it and knocked it over so no big deal if people wanna judge w/o knowing the whole story let them I dont care. I just wanna know how I can get it out.
    SharonMosher

Answer by SharonMosher at 10:43 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Also I'm afraid bleach would just fade the pink and I turned the run around so that that part goes under the bed but you can still see it. I might just have to take it in to a rug cleaner and see if they can get it out.
    SharonMosher

Answer by SharonMosher at 10:48 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• try peanut butter...i know it sounds crazy.....but if you get it on there soon enough it may soften it enough to shampoo away
    Brianne036

Answer by Brianne036 at 2:48 PM on Jul. 14, 2008