What is the best way to teach a 2 year old and a 3 year old how to swim?

I took my little girls to the beach today and realized I really need to teach them how to swim. I meant to get them into swim lessons, but really have no where around me that is offering lessons. My 2 year old is a water baby, no fear of the water which of course puts fear into me. She would just jump right in if I would let her. My 3 year old is a little more aware of the water and is a bit scared. How did you teach your little ones?

amber1330

Asked by amber1330 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well I took DS at 2 and it didn't work so good, again when he was 4 and he did amazing and now is a certified fish,, I would say be sure to put life jackets on when at the water,, and just work with them at the pool...
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:23 PM on Jul. 22, 2011

• Swim lessons.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 3:27 PM on Jul. 22, 2011

• My son had swim lessons at 4 from the Red Cross. NOt sure of anything better.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:31 PM on Jul. 22, 2011

• I think all kids need to learn how to swim. At two and three, they wont be able to realy swim properly yet, as in, well enough to save themselves in an emergency. To start, just get them comfortable with the water, keep a life jacket on them if you want to not be so paranoid every second your at the beach...dont rely to much on life guards, as kids drown even with life guardss around. I would realy hunt for a place to take them for lessons, it takes several sets of lessons for them to get good. I live near the beach ( Lake and ocean) so pretty much everyone around here puts their kids into lessons.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 3:31 PM on Jul. 22, 2011

• When mine were little, ages ago, I did a couple things. First they instinctively do the doggy paddle so that is a good place to start. I had one hand under their tummy and let them kick and paddle, when they were comfortable with it I gradually lowered my hand till they were doing it on their own. We also did the floating on the back the same way, hands under back till they were comfortable and then lowered hands. Once they were comfortable with both those then we moved on to holding their breath and getting the face/head under the water. We live near the beach so it was important they knew how to swim. Till they get the hang of things a life jacket or swimmies are always a good option. Have fun!
    blueeyes22

Answer by blueeyes22 at 3:32 PM on Jul. 22, 2011

• Swim lessons are not usually recommended until age 4 or 5, because before then they have trouble negotiating their body and taking instruction. But, there are some super talented early swimmers, so it might depend on the child.

i tried teaching mine. Unsuccessful, so my oldest is finally in lessons with a professional. She is amazing with the swim instructor. LOL!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:43 PM on Jul. 22, 2011

• we just finished swim lessones. but other then that she is too young to really really swim. i loved the lessones because it got her use to jumping off the wall into the pool and had her kicking and moving her arms. they also got to play with toys. reaching for them. it takes time. but i agree with the life jacket. but really just get them in the water with a adult and have them get use to the water
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 5:55 PM on Jul. 22, 2011