Have any other nursing moms (of an older baby) had a problem with not being able to let down?

Having trouble with breastfeeding at ten months! We've been at it for quite some time and now my body is getting unreliable and I'm stressing out. I've tried what feels like everything: massage, warm packs, pumping first, Reglan, even nipple twisting (yes!), but when baby is most anxious (has a cold, is really hungry, etc.) then I get anxious and can't relax enough to let down. I'd love any support, help, and any advice about switching to formula, which is what I'm moving toward... How to make the transition, what kind of bottles to use, etc.!

Fodderwing

Asked by Fodderwing at 12:03 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why do you think you're not letting down? The sensation disappears, so it's not a reliable way of knowing.

At ten months you might have a real problem getting baby to accept formula. And I don't think you need it. I've seen an awful lot of moms THINK they have a problem when they actually don't.

Can you stop by the breastfeeding moms group? This is going to take further discussion which this particular forum isn't particularly good for. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 12:07 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Why do you think you're not letting down?

If you truely are not then stop stressing about it. Sit down, put on some relaxing music or a tv show you like, latch baby on and relax.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 12:56 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My son almost 9 months. When I get anxious I take deep breath and focus on something. The color of the frame. The crack in the ceiling. I letdown in no time if I don't think about it.
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 1:49 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• stress is whats probably the problem.its more mind over matter.could it be you really dont want to bf anymore?i would check kellymom.com that site is my life saver
    try to relax.he needs you the most when he isnt feeling well.the closeness is still important not just the meal.focus on that for now and it will happen
    ALLSPORTMOM

Answer by ALLSPORTMOM at 7:44 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I agree with the 1st answer. You lose the let down feeling after awhile. Just try to relax & join one of the support groups here for more advice.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 10:27 AM on Dec. 20, 2008