My Stepdaughter has my grandchild on the toilet for 30 minutes at a time, I think that at 3 yrs old, this is a bit much. I believe in lots of short trips to the toilet if necessary. What do you think?

The Mayo Clinic says a few minutes at a time for training, one other source says 30 minute, the longer the better...

Bamma283

Asked by Bamma283 at 10:07 PM on Jul. 13, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Too much!!!
    saturnblue

Answer by saturnblue at 10:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Does he or she mind? My son will get up on the toilet with a good book or toy catalog and stay a while (I don't ask him to!) He just gets engrossed.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• My 2 year old will sit there all day if she could. She enjoys it! She wants to "go" so bad and just can't figure it out, so she sits and waits patiently, hehe.

I think if it's being forced at all, it's bad. You should never force it.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:26 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• I agree that it should be short trips. Over and over and over like every 30 min you have to try to get them to go. I know with my daughter, she just got more angry the longer she sat there and more determined not to do what I was asking her to.
    ksclueless

Answer by ksclueless at 10:26 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• I agree- forcing a child to use the restroom will NEVER work. They have to do it their on time.
    MrsP777

Answer by MrsP777 at 11:54 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• That is too long. Short and frequent trips are ideal. I feel if you force a child to stay on the potty when they are not comfortable being there, all you are doing is instilling a negative feeling in them and they will end up feeling the potty is a "bad place". Quite counter-productive.
    kristen_p

Answer by kristen_p at 12:26 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• it depends on the child and how far along in potty traing they are.if they are just starting and are not quite sure how it feels to use the potty haveing them sit there is a good idea.
    gimmietherapy

Answer by gimmietherapy at 2:57 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Way to long....
    Moody1418

Answer by Moody1418 at 2:13 AM on Jul. 15, 2008