Weird names!

Do you think sometimes people end up giving their kids weird names in an effort to make thier names different? I've heard some names that the parents consider to be unique, and I think, "yes, that's unique alright because most people wouldn't want to name thier child that!"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I work at a store and a check came through with the name Smurfette as the first name. I about fell over laughing before I sent it to the bank.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:33 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• That is so funny...but true. You can tell what names are nice and the ones that are awful. I feel sorry for the child.
    Anonymous

• I changed the spelling of my daughter's name, Jossalyn, from the original more popular spelling (Jocelyn). I wanted something different for her =] Everyone hated the spelling at first, but they've learned to suck it up and deal with it.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:20 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I have a weird name myself....Tamarock is very uncommon....but Iguess that is what i get for being the baby of 8 and all of our names start with T's.......lol
    Tamarock

Answer by Tamarock at 12:20 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Yes, or names that the parents think are funny! In our home town we have a family with the last name Christian. They named their daughter Heaven Leigh. What are the chances she's gonna like that when she's grown? Also, we have a family with the last name Rhodes. Their sons go by (I don't think it is their given names-- I hope not!) Dusty, Rocky, & Bumpy! So silly!

Anonymous

• I went to school with two brothers named Chevy and Bear.
    No joke. Those weren't their nicknames, either.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:22 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I like different names my sons name is ..I'zake but it is pronounced Issac ..I dont care what people think I am raising my son to be a strong man and his name has nothing to do with his personality

sunkist78

Answer by sunkist78 at 12:26 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• There's a girl that lives in my area, and her name is La-a.
    Pronounced "La DASH a"
    No joke. I think that is the most retared thing ever.
    I called her "La hyphen a" once and she didn't think that was too funny. I was like what, you said you pronounced the hyphen...
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 12:28 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• La-a? LOLOMG. I think I just peed a little. That's seriously the strangest name I've ever heard in my entire life.

My grandma's middle name is Kree, but it's pronounced Kay-ree. I always wished my great grandma would have been alive nowadays so I could ask her why in the world she couldn't just add a few extra letters and spell it out.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:30 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I hate it when some takes a simple names and ruins it by trying to be "unique" with a spelling. All you are doing is making it harder on yourself (you have to spell it out all the time) & other ppl because they cant pronounce it. It's still the same name regardless so just spell it the way its traditionally spelled & save yourself & everyone else the hassel! If you dont think you kid is going to be special enough unless you saddle them with an outrageously spelled moniker then you need to grow up before you have any babies.
    Anonymous