i am 16 a mom and i live with my grandparents i cant find a job and i applied for food stamps cause my grandparents just cannot pay anymore . so i was wondering how much food stamps will i get with no income and me and my son?

Katrenarose111

Asked by Katrenarose111 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 22, 2011 in Money & Work

• Food stamps are determined by the entire household income.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2011

• The amount of food stamps you would qualify for depends on the overall household income..

Are your grandparents your legal guardians or are you emancipated? This will also affect the amount you would qualify for.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 8:12 PM on Jul. 22, 2011

• it all depends on if you are emancipated or not if you are living under the guardianship of your grandparents it won't be as much if you get any at all
    RShilling

Answer by RShilling at 8:15 PM on Jul. 22, 2011

• You may have been emancipated once you give birth... you are in some states. But as PP's have said it depends on the household Good luck.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2011

• – collapse
    call your local dhs office.

Why would you choose to bring a baby into the world at 16 when you are unable to even put food on the table? Pretty selfish for you to expect your granparents to be supporting the two of you in the first place. Oh, wait, it is our turn next.... the taxpayers get to pay for another ignorant child that spread her legs without birthcontrol...yahoo.... raise those taxes to support those babies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Jul. 22, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• im 24 and live with my parents and go to school full time i cant find a job either or food stamps because i go to school full time and my situation im about to get married and move to NY. I got pregnant almost 5 months ago. My parents dont support me so my fiance does.
    PNM24

Answer by PNM24 at 9:08 PM on Jul. 22, 2011

• Here in az. They ask if you buy your own food. if so, then you probably will get some... HOWEVER. Since you are 16, and living with adults, here in az at least you wont get anything. But, maybe in whatever state you live in. Maybe. Doesnt hurt to apply
    tyree08

Answer by tyree08 at 9:14 PM on Jul. 22, 2011

• Are you getting child support? Are you in school? What are your plans for the future? How are you planning to get the skills to be an independent adult, and set a great example for your child?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2011

• Are you emancipated? That actually is going to have a lot to do with whether YOU can get the food stamps. Since you are only 16, there's a high chance that one of your grandparents is going to have to go with you and apply for them. You and your child will be a secondary person on the card.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 10:23 PM on Jul. 22, 2011

• Back when I was a teen mom I tried to get food stamps but they didn't even bother to have me apply because I was still living at home. They said I either had to be out on my own(head of a household) or the age 22 or else I couldn't get them. Then again, that was more than a decade ago and it was in GA. Hopefully/maybe things have changed.

To the rude-o anon who said taxpayers will be paying for her and her son, that's not true. So little goes into the welfare/food stamp system you wouldn't even notice in the next to nothing you pay in taxes anyways.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 10:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2011