My toddler is a brat. Need advice.

My daughter is our first child and first grandchild on both sides of the family. I have a daycare and she is hell on wheels when others get there. She won't listen to me, tries to talk back and has the nerve to walk around with her hands on her hips. She's a real Bully!! The funny part is she's the smallest. All day long im constantly putting her in time out, popping fingers, taking away toys and separating her. My DH says lay the Smash Down, LOL. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Lay the Smack down. :)
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 2:48 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• lol sounds like shes just trying to stand her ground after all mommy it is her house lol. I dont know how old she is so its hard to say what will work. I guess just keep putting her in time out and she will get it some day if your lucky.
    Anonymous

• I know of a GREAT book that you might find some good ideas in... it's written by a Christian, so I don't know how you would feel about that..... if you are interested in learning the title and author's name please send me a message =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 12:32 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• toddlers are usually just starting to learn that they can control things around them. Something that worked for a friend of mine was how you word your requests. example:at school she wants to control/have another toy that a child has. tell her calmly that"it is her/his turn but you can have a choice of ___ toy or ___toy." it works because she still gets to be in charge of her choice KWIM? , she fights bedtime-it won't kill her to stay up 5 mins later(fill the 5 minutes with "mommy" time that only comes right before bed), but by saying"ok do you want to stay up 5 mins later to read a book, or would you like a story before sleepy time" again she has a choice. Now something big like hitting/hurting another child or anyone-that is an absolute and she needs to know it is not ok. But I hope it helps with the little stuff, because I KNOW a lot of "little stuff" gets overwhelming. Good luck mama!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:40 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Toddlers are learning to "control" their environment-frustrating for all involved lol. Give her choices"ok bedtime with a story, or bedtime w/a story, or bedtime w/a big snuggle?" "would you like 1 cookie or 1 fruit bar?" If it is a big thing like hitting-"do you want to say sorry to your friend, or should we try playing another day?" My best friend does this kind of stuff and it has really helped. Good luck mama!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:43 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Buy the book Parenting with Love and Logic! I kid you not it saved my sanity. Give control when you don't need it (which shoe first, do you want to leave now or in 2 minutes,etc.). When she is throwing a fit, encourage her to scream louder once she realizes that you don't care that she is screaming, she will stop.When she screams at you say "Uh oh I'm sorry I can't hear you when you scream like that can you please talk to me in your nice voice." If she keeps screaming, say I see that you are frustrated and when you are ready to speak to me nicely then I will be here to listen.Use signal words for when she is doing something wrong, for example: UhOh... if she continues to do the thing that is wrong walk up to her and get to her level and say uhoh that is not a good choice, and then re-direct her. Eventually you will only have to say Uh Oh and she will stop what she is doing.Seriously buy the book!
    MNMom247365

Answer by MNMom247365 at 2:22 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• 1-2-3 Magic is the best book I've read on discipline issues. My son used to laugh at me when I put him in time out. Now I don't get past 2 usually. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it work myself in our house. The trick was consistency from both parents AND grandparents.
    Anonymous

• My son gets like that when the little girl I watch a few days a week has been here longer than usual. Try using your words a little bit more (i am in no way saying you don't already do this). I find when my son starts to get like that if i take a moment to ask him what he wants, what he needs, and take just that moment of time to focus fully on him and find him something handy to do. Try getting her to "help" with the other children. Give her somehing to make her feel special. That way she feels favored over the other children but give her positive feedback and encouragement and continue with what you already do. Try different time out locations, or sitting or standing, tell her you will do somethingspecial once all of the other children are gone and make a time everyday (as often as possible) to play with her and tell her what she did right, encourage what she did right and explain what she may need to work on. L
    Skylors_mom

Answer by Skylors_mom at 3:43 PM on Dec. 19, 2008