Has anyone ever decided to do a natural (vaginal, no pain meds) birth and regretted it?

I have heard a lot of women who were really happy that they chose to birth their babies naturally... I've actually never heard a woman say they regretted that choice... I was just wondering if anyone here did wish they had chosen to get an epidural or other pain meds?

MamaCatCat

Asked by MamaCatCat at 12:38 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• My sister did and was screaming for an epidural, but it was too late at that point. I had an epidural because my doctor suggested it would be best because I had blood pressure problems and he was right. My epidural started to wear off and my blood pressure shot right up. I'm glad I chose to have one or I would have ended up getting an emergency c-section. That's just my experience though. Everyone is different. If you decide to go natural good luck!
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 12:41 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• i wanted to go natural with my son and would have continued execpt we ran in to complications that required a emergency c section im hoping for a natural birth this time.
    My best friend said from the beggining she wanted a epi but she went so darn fast there was no time for one she is actually glad she didnt get one and plans on having this baby with no meds.
    If you can tolerate the pain i say go for it but dont feel bad if you get a epi most women do.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 12:46 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My best friend and my mother and my grandmother and my aunt... I was smart enough to just get the epidural. My friend didn't choose to do it that way but when the guy came in to do her epidural the lady in the next room was SCREAMING so she told them to go get her first. By the time they got to her it was to late... My mother had contractions so hard you could watch her stomach wripple and my aunt actually passed out from the pain... When my gram had my aunt (now 19) she was told they couldn't give her an epidural because of her age so she had an IV to help with the pain but it was still bad! They ALL told me to get the epi!!!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:54 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Well I had a epidural with my first and it help a little yea but then i couldnt walk to almost a day the nurses practacly had to come in and to diaper changes cause i couldnt walk..... my last 2 babies there wasnt enough time for them so i went all natural and it was done and over with and i could get right up and shower and take care of myself I LOVED IT!!! I would suggest all natural but that is each individuals choice!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 12:58 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• All five of my sisters, with their first, said that they would go naturally. They all did too! Being some strong willed girls they did OK up until it was time to actually push then they were screaming for drugs or and epidural. It was always too late.

They all had more babies after but chose the epidural right away, every single one of them regretted going all natural. They don't understand the point of it now.

I am the last sister to give birth and I am due soon. They all told me to do epidural and I am!
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 2:03 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I'm not sure how you could regret that decision. You pass no drugs to your baby & you don't risk your own health by getting an epidural. I wanted to give my baby the best start in life, that meant no drugs-pitocin, nubain, epidural-that might make him groggy or cause problems for either of us. I would have felt regret had I chosen the epidural because I didn't trust & let my body do it's job...the same way women have done for thousands of years. It was the most empowering, exciting thing I've ever accomplished. Painful, yes at times-but it's temporary.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 4:09 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I went all natural and I don't know how one would regret that. I had what I was told was one of the most painful labors (12 hours of very very strong back labor) and I don't regret a minute of it. I will go all natural with this one in about 4 months. I am actually looking forward to labor. :)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 6:56 PM on Dec. 19, 2008