How dangerous is having a baby at 42 years old

I've already done the research, just wondering .......what ladies out there know about it!!!!

Hispanic40

Asked by Hispanic40 at 12:40 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• my aunt had her first baby at 43years old he is a happy healthy boy and is now 3 years old. I know the risk of downs gos up but if your healthy and you take care of yourself im sure you can have a happy healthy pregnancy and end up with a happy healthy baby.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 12:41 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I had a professor a while back and when his 42 year old wife was pregnant and the doctor said there was a chance that the baby would have Down's Syndrome after they got the test results. Unfortunately he was born way too early.. I think at like 24 weeks? I'm not sure but the good thing is that he doesn't have Down's. He also had to have surgery for something in his body that I'm not sure about. Oh if you were asking about the woman herself.. I do remember that she was constantly hurting even at just 9 weeks. They kept having to go to the ER in the middle of the night. There was a lot more but I'm sorry I can't remember it all!
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 12:45 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Since Down Syndrome has been mentioned, let me just put one thing in perspective. They say you have a 1 in 2,000 chance of having a child with Down Syndrome at the age of 20 compared to a 1 in 10 chance at the age of 40, however, if you consider this fact... how many women are having children at the age of 20 compared to at the age of 40? The fact is 80% of children with Down Syndrome are born to mothers under the age of 35. I had my sweet little boy at the age of 20 =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 12:45 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Its becoming more and more commen i wouldnt be worried yes birth defect risks elevate but you would be considerd high risk because of your age and they will pay close attention and take good care of you!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 12:49 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I am 36 and having my second-it is harder i can tell you that. I had ds at 23 and my body was different. As for birth defects and chromosomal issues. I know at 35 I had a 1 in 250 chance of it happening, the numbers do go up with age. but pp was right most downs cases are actually born to women under 28. Google the topic and you should get some great personal stories that you can browse. Good luck!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:51 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• i had to check this post out again just to see the answers. I didnt know that most downs babies were born to mothers under the age of 35 thats amazing thanks for teaching me something new.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 12:58 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I had my first at 19 and my last two of 5 at 39 and 40. I was worried about Downs and other things common with mothers of "advanced maternal age" I did what testing was available but I don't think I would have terminated a pregnancy due to a defect anyway. Those numbers they give are scary but if your doctor has a brain he will tell you most Downs babies are born to young moms. However some to older moms too...Sarah Palin for instance. My boys are perfect and healthy. Just take care of yourself and get lots of rest...I think it is harder to be older once they are here. I know at 42 and having two kids 3 and 2 yrs gives me a run for my money...good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:50 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• The risk only begins to go up at age 35.. then it slowly increases the farther you get from 35. If you are concerned, you can always go see a geneticist and be tested before hand for any abnormalities, this of course is no guarantee. As a doula, I have worked with women well into their forties with their husbands in their fifties having their first children! The percentage/risk increases begin small and increase the more you age, but again, only slowly. Don't worry!! =)
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 5:49 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Thank You!!!! I will keep you posted......
    Hispanic40

Answer by Hispanic40 at 1:15 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I had my baby at 41 and I am 42 now and would like to have more. There is always a risk with anything but it's your choice. Age is just a number. You will have AMA listed on your chart, advanced maternal age but I didn't care. That was the only "risk" and it wasn't one at all. Everything went well.

My grandmother had 6 kids, and her last at 50. She had no problems. I also had all C-sections and no problems with the last.

I wish you luck.
    pamkay414

Answer by pamkay414 at 9:00 PM on Jan. 11, 2009