Lately I been hearing babys dying in there sleep and I been hearing it alot now,It seems like every where I go online I run into it and

I am scared that this will happen to my unborn child (who is due soon) I am scared to wake up and find out that he had passed. Is anyone like me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i think its fear in every mother but try not to stress about it you will only make yourself crazy. yes it happens and you for some reason read more about it when your pregnant.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 12:43 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My son is 5 months old and I get up at night and check if he is breathing. It scares all of us, but you can't think about it too much.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 12:43 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I felt the same way when my daughter was born. It freaked me out. any little sound I heard I would scream at my DH to wake up and he would be like "what, what? she just happily sighed!"
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 12:44 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• That phenomenon is called SIDS, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

It's terrifying and horrible. There are ways to cut down the chances of it happening, but there's no 100% way to prevent it.

It's completely natural to be terrified of it. I know I am, and any mother that says they're not is lying through their teeth. It comes along with being a parent.

The best thing you can do is become as educated as possible on SIDS and the things you can do to cut down the chances of it. That's one reason babies sleep on their backs now instead of their tummies, and why you're not supposed to put toys in the crib with them.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:45 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• For the first year of my DD's life I was up every 15 minutes checking on her. I was terrified of her dying of SIDS. I think it's normal but I don't have any advice to "get over it" because I never did. I just knew that at a year the risk is so minimal that it wasn't worth worrying about and it was like a switch went off and I could sleep again.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 12:46 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• it is every mothers fear and it doesn't go away. I still check up on my 5 and 6 year olds in the middle of the night. I have heard by placing a fan in the baby's room it reduces sids. trust me my daughter will have one in her room when she's born.
    persuasion91297

Answer by persuasion91297 at 12:47 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• You can't just get over a fear, it's something you will have to figure out how to deal with on your own but talking about it helps.

I don't agree with the sleeping on the back thing and I think it's highly debatable. I slept on my stomach and so did my kids and everyone else's kids I know and they are all fine and never had any problems. My XH though slept on his back and had a lot of problems because of reflux and sleep apnea. He ended up being made to sleep sitting up, one night grandma put him on his stomach and he slept through the night and didn't have any of the stop breathing episodes.

Geminus

Answer by Geminus at 12:53 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• there is no way of getting over the fear, for the first few weeks i slept with my hand on my sons chest, and then i got up all through the night and checked on him, i cant stop eaither, my son is now 2 and a half years old and i will still wake up in the night in a panack and check on my son.
    mandyjh

Answer by mandyjh at 1:16 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I get up till this day and check on my son and he will be 3 soon. Every 3 hrs. My body is so used to waking up 3 hrs.
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Totally normal fear...this too shall pass!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:45 PM on Dec. 19, 2008