How can I produce breast milk again without being pregnant?

I had DD 2 1/2 years ago and stopped BFing after a few months for reasons I wont disclose anyhow, I started lactating then it went away. But I'm taking a new med that is supposed to make me lactate. But I thought well hell if I'm lactating I might as well take advantage of the calorie burning aspect of it all and I began to pump. Then I stopped producing anything except for what appears to be colostrum but its super super thick. I started taking fenugreek 4 days ago and that is supposed to help increase milk supply but I still got nothing. Any help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe talk to your doctor it may take longer then what you think to start lactating again. be patient and don't give up if this is something you want to do and don't let others bring you down or tell you anything different.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:39 AM on Jul. 23, 2011

• How often are you taking the fenugreek? My lactation consultant told me to take at least 3 pills 3 times a day for it to work and if your sweat or pee smells like maple syrup then you're taking enough. Weird i know lol and if you don't mind me asking what medications are you taking that would taint the milk?
    fergie92

Answer by fergie92 at 9:00 PM on Jul. 24, 2011

• My kids are past the breast feeding age and I don't care what your judgmental opinion is. I would donate my milk but its tainted with medications that I am having to take. So you can take a hike
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2011

• ~blink~blink~ ?
    EgoSumLamia

Answer by EgoSumLamia at 11:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2011

• Am I the only one who doesn't think this is weird? I mean millions of ppl take diet pills that do absolutely nothing. And invest in bars packed full of sugar claiming to be diet bars. But as soon as I decide I'm going to take advantage of something all natural and what my body has already done in the past some ppl on here get weird about it? Whats wrong with shedding a few calories while I watch tv or read a book and relax? P.S. This isn't my only form of diet and exercise. I do diet and eat healthy and exercise every day.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:57 PM on Jul. 22, 2011

• So far, yes, it seems your the only one. But I will keep checking back just to make sure.
    EgoSumLamia

Answer by EgoSumLamia at 11:58 PM on Jul. 22, 2011

• Lactation as weight loss fails as often as it works; indeed I've seen it fail more often than work and do NOT tout weight loss as a benefit of breastfeeding as a result.

What you're getting is what I would expect at this point. And to do more, you'll be working a lot harder than if you did 30 minutes of walking every day. Sorry. I know it's not the answer you want.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:42 AM on Jul. 23, 2011

• IMO it does work to help you lose baby weight after delivery. However, your body is smart and more likely than not will not start producing enough milk to give you any calorie burning benefit if there are no babies giving it a reason to. I tried to breastfeed less and just use the pump more with my second child and the milk just subsided. I just have never heard of anyone using lactation as a weight loss method after the fact. I suppose - there were women in earlier times that were "wet nurses" whose jobs were to breastfeed....I'm a big fan of eating right and exercising instead...may take longer but it should be a longer term solution vs. quick weight loss.
    romanojm

Answer by romanojm at 2:05 AM on Jul. 23, 2011

• I lost 50 lbs with pumping breast milk before. Shortly after I had DD. And I also lost all my baby weight via pumping when I had DS. I know I will lose weight. Too bad I didn't get any support on cafemom. I thought of all people who would be supportive would be other mothers.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:34 AM on Jul. 23, 2011

• I have never heard of anyone doing this....don't really have much of an opinion except that it is strange to produce breastmilk when you have no baby.
    mommydinasaur

Answer by mommydinasaur at 9:14 AM on Jul. 23, 2011