How do i get my son to think positive about himself

katerina1

Asked by katerina1 at 3:16 AM on Jul. 23, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I believe in listening to them and act excited whenever something good they did. If what he did is wrong dont make a fuss just tell him that things happen. And as a parent minimise to use negative words or a non pleasant topics.
    hrhnrzln

Answer by hrhnrzln at 4:00 AM on Jul. 23, 2011

• thanks a lot i do realise that i do that, didnt notice it until u said that I think i notice all the wrong he's doin instead of all the right he is doing thanx a lot for the help
    katerina1

Comment by katerina1 (original poster) at 4:04 AM on Jul. 23, 2011

• Yeah, focus on the positive. Do some activities with him as a family PLUS individually with you and your SO so he feels special. Don't make it an option but tell him you will be doing such and such. Talk it over with him as to what he would enjoy. A strong positive bond with you and family will help him tons. Plus praise whenever he does well.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 9:39 AM on Jul. 23, 2011

• Make you home a positive place to be.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:45 PM on Jul. 23, 2011

• Get him into something he is good at, and praise praise!! Weather that be soccer, drawing, cooking, swimming, karate etc.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 10:24 PM on Jul. 23, 2011

• listening to them and praising him for good things like things he works so hard on
    B00boo

Answer by B00boo at 8:23 AM on Jul. 24, 2011

• I make it a point to compliment my son every day for the good things he does, from how helpful he is in the housework to how great his sport skills are improving. Each day I tell him how special he is and how much joy he brings to my life; this makes a huge impact on a child and is something my own parents never did. I believe in positive reinforcement. When I correct his behavior, I start and end with a compliment so that he doesn't feel bad about himself.
    AngelicaDem

Answer by AngelicaDem at 8:10 AM on Jul. 25, 2011

• Oh, yes... we're very big on surprise hugs coupled with a compliment at our house. AND we Thank you to death... we even thank for being thanked!
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 4:54 PM on Jul. 25, 2011

• Praise and praise some more, encourage and guide....

Answer by older at 4:17 PM on Jul. 28, 2011