INTENSE gas pains EVERY NIGHT

I've been googling possible causes, I've talked to my doctor, and I can't figure it out! I've been keeping a food journal and there are no common threads amongst what I eat. I've been purposely mixing it up and changing my diet to try and prevent the pain, but it just won't go away.

Every night around 7 or so, it starts. And it hurts! It's definitely gas pains. It starts in my stomach and moves itself through my digestive tract until I fart or belch it out. But the pain is unbearable. It keeps me awake all night, and getting it to go away usually takes 6 hours or more. I'm up all night walking around, squatting, sitting, laying, curling up, stretching out, and whatever else I can try to relieve the pain but it's persistant. Nothing but time truly makes a difference. Every night for the last 4 nights in a row... and prior to this week, it would occur one or two nights a week. It's getting worse!

My doc just said the usual- avoid high-fiber veggies, acidic fruits and carbonation, coffee, dairy and alcohol around that time. I've been diligent and nothing has budged (in fact it's worse!)...I feel like something is seriously wrong but I can't find a single digestive disease/disorder/virus/infection that matches what I have. There is no dirreah, constipation, vomiting, fever etc to go along with it. Just intense pain throughout my whole torso (even my lower back on the really bad days) that won't go away. It hurts! I hate it! help!!!

livn4hevn

Asked by livn4hevn at 4:04 AM on Jul. 23, 2011 in Health

• Diet intake could be the reason. Drinking milk could cause it to. but the best is go and do some physical exercise. Maybe stop thinking about it can put a stop. They say its all in the mind.
    hrhnrzln

Answer by hrhnrzln at 4:15 AM on Jul. 23, 2011

• Dairy! I'm telling you now, get off that stuff 100% for 2 months. YOu will be a new woman but go through NASTY withdrawal symptoms for 3 weeks if you are anything like I was. And with what you describe you are exactly how I was. I feel for you because gas is only funny up to a point.

I used to find lying on my left side relieved the pain and helped move things along (and took simethicone frequently too) and getting up in the night and making figure of 8 moves with my hips could shift the stuff too.

Your clothes suddenly don't fit and you fear being company at times and if you hold back you smell, . . . I'M WITH YOU MAMA!

Get off dairy! It was the cause of all my misery for years. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Womanhood

Answer by Womanhood at 5:50 AM on Jul. 23, 2011

• Oh, and since I've been off it I've been able to find I can tolerate cream and live yoghurt but NO whey or milk solids or skimmed milk powders etc in anything. And by the way, it was the end of my perpetual headaches and radom migraines to.
    [lactose - intestinal reactions. Caseine - nerve reaction]
    Please Google this and get some specific blood testing done.
    It was the end to me fibromyalgia and arthritis symptoms too!
    Womanhood

Answer by Womanhood at 5:55 AM on Jul. 23, 2011

• It definitely does sound like a dairy issue. I have fibromyalgia as well :(
    alisonja

Answer by alisonja at 6:31 AM on Jul. 23, 2011

• i agree, go off the dairy. don't forget that means butter, milk in your cereal, chocolate...read your ingredients well!!! you will have to be off the dairy for a while, and not just one or two days.
    go to a health food store and get a good probiotic too. i would also eat lots of green veggies.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:56 AM on Jul. 23, 2011

• It's probably Gallstones. Go to your Dr. & request an ultrasound of your gallbladder to check for gall stones. GL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:39 AM on Jul. 23, 2011

• Man i hope you guys are wrong lol... I LOVE milk! I used to drink a gallon a day (or more!) when I was pregnant!!!

My concern is, I only get this pain at night... wouldn't lactose intolerance pains occur throughout the day? I usually drink the MOST milk in the mornings- half/half in my coffee, milk in my cereal, etc. And stick to iced tea, lemonade or water throughout the day! I don't know enough about it to know how it all works, but I'm guessing that it would be most likely to effect me right after consuming dairy right? Not just in the evenings? Anyone know for sure?
    livn4hevn

Comment by livn4hevn (original poster) at 5:07 PM on Jul. 23, 2011