MIL is a narcissistic horror and constantly gets me into fights with the hubby - help!

MIL always complains that she has things so hard, is always throwing a pity party for herself, and my hubby knows this about her but she's still his mom. She continually trys to get me in trouble with the hubby, she'll call me in the middle of my work day and when I can't answer, she'll start calling hubby and complaining that I never answer my phone, never call her back. He'll call me and ask me to call her because she's complaining to him, and I just look like the fool when I complain back to him that she's being unreasonable and that I'll get back to her when I can. How do I get the best of her - she makes me want to run away and hide - she's evil! This is just one example of many - and I want to let him know what she's doing, but I don't want to look like the fool for complaining. What do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Relationships

• hubby needs to handle this one, rather than passing her off on you ask him"if you are so worried and she is in such a crisis why don't you take time out and talk to her?" I mean if it is important enough for you to call her, he should too. It's about him standing up for you. i have the same issues but SO is finally seeing thru her. Tell him if he won't explain it to her you will, maybe that will make him speak up. I'm sorry I KNOW it sucks to be where you are.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:17 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Sounds like your DH needs to man-up and put MIL in her place. Tell her she needs to start acting like and ADULT and not a CHILD. Sounds like MIL could use some "help" if she's trying to get you "into trouble" by not picking up your ph. at work. Maybe it's time DH cut the apron strings? Remind your DH that he married YOU not his MOMMY.
    Fooph121780

Answer by Fooph121780 at 1:20 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• or tell her that if you get caught on a personal call you will lose your job. If she keeps calling-you could have a co-worker answer your phone and act like your boss lol.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:20 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Or maybe you could move out of her house?
    Anonymous

• Is your MIL alone...does she have a husband? If not, THAT is her problem...she needs your husband to take care of her like a spouse would. You are the "threat" to her.

Tell her you are not able to accept personal phone calls at work, unless it is a TRUE emergency (as in needing to go to the hospital)! Put a little guilt on her shoulders...tell her if I lose my job then we will not be able to afford certain things or provide for our family--her grandchildren!

I tell my MIL when she pisses me off (nicely of course, after talking to DH about it). The more you stand up to her DIRECTLY, the easier it will get to tell her when she crosses the line! Or you could tell her to create a CM account, and WE'LL tell her to back off! LMAO!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:04 PM on Dec. 19, 2008