When do children typically quit using a sippy cup?

delta27

Asked by delta27 at 1:07 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in General Parenting

• My daughter is breastfed and never used a bottle, she started with a sippy at about 9 months. She is now almost one and sits up at the table in a booster to eat meals, and drinks with a plastic cup and straw, but for cruising, she gets a sippy. My nephew is 5 and is TOTALLY capable of drinking out of a regular cup, but I MAKE him use a sippy, if not at the table, because I have new carpet. I think you should start working with your child on how to use a regular cup as soon as they start drinking other liquids besides breastmilk, so they don't rely on sippys, but I don't think there's shame in sippys, cause they save my carpet. lol
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 1:21 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Depends on the kid. My son is 18 months and won't use a sippy cup, never would, so he's drinking out of a regular cup with a straw. But I know 3-year-olds who still have a sippy cup, and everywhere in between. If you think your child's ready, then let them have a cup and see how they do. Expect a few spills in the transition, of course, no matter how old they are, but that's the only way to find out.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:11 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• 1 years old
    georgiagirl1007

Answer by georgiagirl1007 at 1:11 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Back when I was having kids we didn't have sippy cups. My kids went from bottle to regular plastic cup. So I say the kid shouldn't even be using one. Sippy cups are glorified bottles.

Answer by louise2 at 1:15 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• well my son is almost 4 and was off the sippy cup at just over a year and started with a regular cup well he makes horrible messes so now he has to have a sippy cup when drinking in the living room!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 1:52 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My kids can and do drink out of regular cups at the table, but for walking around and being in other rooms, they use a sippy cup. I do daycare, so all the kids are blocked off from certain areas of the house, and in order for them to drink they have to use a sippy so my carpet doesn't get ruined. Eventually they will be able to roam the house freely and then they will not get sippy cups (they are all 2 by the way). They already know that regular cups have to stay in the kitchen, so when no daycare kids are here, they usually just use regular cups.
    LizClara

Answer by LizClara at 4:02 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Well, my son is 2 and still uses a sippy for around the apartment. He also still uses a bottle for milk in the morning. He knows how to drink out of a cup and a straw but I don't trust him to have an open cup around my apartment without spilling it.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 4:38 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Once my son turned three and started preschool they use "big boy cups" so he started asking for one at home...my two yr old still uses them..he is kind of clumbsy though
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:33 PM on Dec. 19, 2008