Breastfeeding and Engorement

Im bfing my 1 month old son. I've noticed in the last couple or days that my left side gets way engored way fast. I had to get a root canal done yesterday and i was i need to pump and dump for the next 48 hours so everytime i would be bfing I pump, and I've noticed one side im producing 8 to 9 oz in a 10 min pump(lefy) but on the other side im not even getting 2 oz in a 15 min pump(right). Do you have any advice for me to see how i can produce more on the side thats only getting 2 oz. The other thing is I've notice that i get really really engored about 30 mins after I pump on the left.

lovelygirl914

Asked by lovelygirl914 at 1:43 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try pumping only on the right side, and completely emptying yourself, and letting your LO eat off of the left side. At one month he isn't going to be eating 8-9 oz, so letting him eat off of that side should take the edge off, but don't completely empty that side. If you do you will just signal to your body to keep producing more. Your right side sounds like its about right....2-3 oz in each breast for a 1 month old should be enough.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:48 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• As a side note, I don't think you need to pump and dump after a root canal. I had extensive dental work and dental surgery while breastfeeding, and never had to interrupt breastfeeding. Did the dentist give you a reason why? Sometimes, when they don't know whether or not it is safe, instead of looking into it, they tell you to p&d for x amount of hours.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:56 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Holy milk supply!
    I would let your baby start on the right side each time. For 2 reasons... to increase the demand on that side and also with such a large milk supply on the other side you might have too much foremilk and he may be full before he gets to the hind milk.
    I would take advantage of some of that milk on the left and freeze some!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:20 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I have the SAME problem!!! My left one is a holy producer while my right one is just not up to par. My son is 4 months old and I have tried almost everything. The worst part is my breasts are like 2 dif sizes now...a DD and a C LOL ok not that bad but you get the point. What I do and it seems to be working is I just start him on my small side EVERYTIME and when he's done I pump the heck outta it! But you are sooo not alone with that!
    coolcat26

Answer by coolcat26 at 8:45 PM on Dec. 19, 2008