Has anyone had to have surgery for their sons due to the testes not dropping?

My son is 11 months old and today at the Dr's appointment she said his testes havn't come down and that he will most likely have to have surgery to correct it so his sperm won't end up being destroyed... I was under the impression that they didn't come down until a boy entered puberty but I guess I was wrong. Anyone else have this problem. Risks complications?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I knew a kid with only one. But as far as I know they "drop " at puberty but are always outside the body. Both of my boys' are outside the body. They just get lower I think. I would talk to the doctor and get all the details prior to scheduling anything. I would also ask them if you weight til he's older is it going to be a case of sterilisation or not. I would think if you wait til he can make the choice as an adult the sperm will be okay. Sperm are constantly being made... I would think if he has it fixed as an adult they would be made from then on just fine...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:08 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• American Academy of Pediatrics recommends surgical correction at one year. If your Dr suggests hormones therapy know that it is successful approx. 33% of the time as noted by the AAP. There is risk with any surgery. The risk for not doing it are very serious. At minimum his future fertility and possible erectile function may be affected. Because the testes begin to develope in the abdomen and move down into the scrotem at term if one remains undescended it may migrate in the abdominal cavilty and endanger other organs. The operation id relatively simple does not take a great deal of time. Things like this sound more scary when it's your child. My son's remained undescended until he was 13 months. He had been examined a week before the surgery was sceduled. The morning of the Dr. noted it had descened spontaneously. It remained descended but we had to watch it carefully until after he hit puberty.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:14 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My son had this exact problem. He only had one that did not drop though. He had surgery in October to have it fixed. It was very simple and a quick surgery. He was home around lunch time and by dinner time he wanted to go out and play in the backyard. The day after you would never know he had anything done. For me, the time from finding out he had to have surgery to the surgery itself was the worst of it. He recovered so quickly. I don't think he really noticed anything had happened until a few days later when he found his stiches and asked how they go there.lol. If you want to talk about specifics PM me. i would be happy to help if I can.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 5:08 PM on Dec. 19, 2008