i want to make home made chicken noodle soup... but how do i make the broth after boiling the chicken??

krazyash023

Asked by krazyash023 at 2:07 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Food & Drink

• for chicken stock: use whole chicken including the innards and if you can get the feet, use them too. also add: onions, garlic, carrots, celery leaves, dill, salt and pepper. Boil the chicken until the meat falls away from the bones. Let it cool a bit and remove the veggies and chicken. Keep what you want and throw away the rest (feet). make chicken salad with the meat! You can strain the broth to get out any small particles. Enjoy!
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 2:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• The liquid after you boil the whole chicken is the broth unless you decide to use a canned broth.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 2:09 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• but will it taste good?? or dull
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 2:09 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• It will taste like chicken water! lol. Add some spices that you like, salt, pepper maybe some oregano. I personally use canned broth.
    have2travel

Answer by have2travel at 2:10 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• You need to let it cool and skim some, not all, of the fat off the top once it seperates. And yes you'll need to season it fairly heavily in order to get the right flavor. I use salt, black pepper and little white pepper for some extra kick, onion powder and garlic powder. Once you've got your broth at a good flavor pull the meat of the chicken you willl be using and put it aside. I then re heat the broth with carrots celery and cut onions. Correct the seasoning as needed. Then as everything begins to get tender add your chicken back to the broth and veggies long enough for the chicken to heat through. If you wnat to use noodles make them seperately and add them to the bowls of soup ndividually as they often get soggy from sitting too long and do not freeze well.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 2:13 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I boil the chicken with a carrot stick, a celery stick, 1/2 an onion and a bay leaf along with salt and pepper. After it's boiled I strain the broth and when cooled skim some of the fat off the top...I had to leave the computer for a sec and couldn't give a full answer earlier...giggles/smiles : )
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 2:17 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• add some nutmeg . . . it really gives a great flavor.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Don't just boil chicken. Put the chicken (if you want really good flavor, use extra wings, necks, etc) in a stock pot with a couple of onions, quartered. Add an entire bunch of celery, leaves and all, just cut off the root end. Add a couple carrots, a bay leaf, some thyme, and some black or white peppercorns. Simmer, don't boil, for a couple hours, then strain into another pan...you can take the meat off the chicken to use in the soup or for something else. Discard everything else. You now have chicken stock. Add salt to taste, not too much.

For extra flavor, roast the chicken pieces before making the stock in a 400*f oven for about 45 min, and deglaze the pan with some store bought broth or water. For double strength, add store bought chicken broth (Swanson's or Progresso...or Trader Joe's, which is what I prefer) instead of water to the stock pot.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 1:35 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I like for my soup to be thick & creamy so I add a can of Cream of Chicken soup.
    Mrs.Hopeful

Answer by Mrs.Hopeful at 10:00 PM on Dec. 20, 2008