How can I get my ear piercings to heal and not tighten up?

I got my ears pierced almost 5 years ago...but for the last week and a half, they've gotten oozy and scabby on the backs and if I don't put in earrings every day, they start to close up and hurt a bit.

How can I get the scabs to go away. I already wear hypoallergenic metal earrings (sterling silver)

dovetailthreads

Asked by dovetailthreads at 2:14 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Health

• It sounds like you either have a recurring infection or you are developing an allergy to the
    stainless (it DOES happen). I would start cleaning them with peroxide (which will foam up and dissolve the crusty scabs) and then keep putting antibiotic ointment on them at least 3 times a day. (Bacitracin, Neosporin, etc.) Make sure you keep shampoos and hair styleing aids like hairspray away from them too. ALWAYS wear earrings until they have been healed for several months. If after all that you still have an issue, it's probably an allergy and you are stuck.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 2:19 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I have always used NEOSPORIN, when my pierced ears get a little sore. I take the earing part you put in your ear and dip it in the NEOSPORIN. Put it in the ear piercing.

Answer by louise2 at 2:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I am 25... I've had my ears done since I was 13... They do that EVERY time I wear earings. Try buying gold posted earings... But that's not a 100%. Mine still do that even with gold.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:37 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Definitely keep them clean but clean them several times a day. You could use ordinary soap and water but something gentle, and use gold posts for now, wear them loose if possible. The frequency of the cleaning will prevent bacteria to settle in. Neosporin after that.
    Fifilaflea

Answer by Fifilaflea at 4:14 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• We have a genetic metal allergy in our family and the girls in my family (grandmother, mother, and myself) cannot wear anything but real gold..no gold-plated, silver, nickel, etc.

Even with gold, I still used to have occasional problems with wearing earrings. I did not put them in often, and found that when I did I would have similar problems. What solved my problem was doing three things: cleaning the pierced area with peroxide, dipping the gold posts of the earrings in antibiotic ointment before insertion, and leaving the earrings in..permanently.

I have simple diamond earrings set on solid gold posts, have left them in for a couple of years now, take care to wash ears well at the piercing site with every shower/bath, and finally have no issues with piercings anymore. I hope you find a treatment/care method that works for you!
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 10:58 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Oh, and..do you know RanaAurora from here on CafeMom? While Lactation and Attachment Parenting is my specialty, Piercings is one of hers..seriously. She was a professional piercer and REALLY knows her stuff. She is really nice, and am sure she can help you out. If you do not know her, I can ask her to pm you..just let me know!
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 11:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• like everyone else said keep them cleaned, washed, and turn those earrings plus use good metal
    Fifilaflea

Answer by Fifilaflea at 10:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2008