How old was your baby when they could use a spoon to feed themselves?

My daughter is 10 months old and i was just wondering when she will be able to feed herself, and i dont mean little pieces of things, she can do that, i mean pick up the spoon put it in the food, and then in her mouth lol, how old were your kids?

Trinity32188

Asked by Trinity32188 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sometime around a year. But remember, the biggest concern a toddler has is how quickly can she get the food into her mouth so no one else eats it first. Most of the time, a toddler will use fingers if at all possible. As they approach 2.5 years, you start reminding them to use a spoon or fork. As they pass 2.5 and head for 3, you start insisting.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:53 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• 1 yr.old
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 2:34 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I can't remember exactly, but I want to say like, 15 months? Give or take..
    SotilSol

Answer by SotilSol at 2:34 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• 11-12 months my daughter started. She still misses half the time (19 months). Every child is different.
    BabayBella

Answer by BabayBella at 2:39 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Over 1! Sometimes my 2 year old still makes a huge mess :P
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:47 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My nephew will be 2 years in Feb. and he just started maybe a month ago feeding himself applesauce. He does pretty good....he likes to turn the spoon upside down after he puts it in his mouth. He gets pretty messy, but I guess thats how they learn.
    DJMsmom

Answer by DJMsmom at 3:04 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My son (14 months) tries real hard to use the spoon but usually ends up holding it in one hand and eating with his hands. just give them a chance to use it. I personally like the nubby or parents choice disposable spoons & forks (about $2 for 5 spoons & 5 forks) but gerber has little dippers that are supposed to work great for starters.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 4:37 PM on Dec. 19, 2008