6 month old baby girl question - worried TMI

My daughter had a bit of a diaper rash so the past couple days I have been putting Desitin on her. Today I was trying to wipe all the white residue off, there was some on her vagina and I spread the lips to wipe it off. I did it VERY gently, but then it looked like there was some blood! She never even flinched or acted any differently, so it didnt put her in pain,but could I have hurt the area ? What happened ? Why would it bleed by my wiping the outside ? Could I have spread it and ripped it a little ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my dd has had that happen FEW TIMES NOW I USE A&D and it cleared it right up ND SHE WAS FINE
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 2:40 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I hate desitin. It really sticks to the skin. It could be that the skin was already sensitive from the rash and then the act of trying to wipe that paste off of the already irritated area rubbed it raw. I would try to just use Vaseline or clear A&D. Keep her in fresh diapers as often as possible. Change her the moment you think she peed. Don't use wipes because the soap irritates it more, just use warm damp paper towels or wash clothes. Pat dry, don't rub. Give her some naked time to air her out for a little while. It should clear up pretty quickly if you do all that. Good luck!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 2:43 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Could it be that the rash is a yeast infection? I don't think wiping would cause the blood and if it's not showing up in the diaper, I wouldn't owrry about it. Have you tried desitin creamy? It wipes off really easily.
    Anonymous

• When my dd had a diaper rash, I put desitin on it an d man it made it worse. I agree with the pp, A&D works great. Also, you could use a blow dryer (pressing the cool button) to dry her hiney really well at diaper changes. My dd loved it and it cleared up her rash right away!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:30 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I had that happen recently... she was so raw that when I wiped it bled... and she didn't seem to care at all. It was huggies cucumber wipes it turns out... they just didn't agree with her and it made her break into a rash from nothing to that bad within in just a day of using them. There is a diaper rash cream that I recommed... its a little pricey but it works great. Triple Paste... you just put the smallest amount on and it clears it up within a couple diaper changes!
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 10:26 PM on Dec. 20, 2008