Diarrhea from Antibiotic

My son is on Amoxicillin for an ear infection, but now has diarrhea. I know diarrhea is common, and I'm not worried that he has it, but we are having a lot of blowouts the last few days. I have been giving him probiotics to try to help, but so far, no luck.

He is 5 months old if it matters

Anything anyone else has been told to try or know that works to help with it?

AmiJanell

Asked by AmiJanell at 2:37 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is going though the same thing, and the only thing I have found that works just alittle bit is to double diaper. fisrt put one on in the size that they noramlly wear and then go and buy a small pack one size up and put that one on top of the other diaper. Hope this helps you. until I figured this out i was changing clothes every time she ate , now not so much. She will still have some blowout here and there if its really really bad but nothing like she was having before
    J_L_Fshr

Answer by J_L_Fshr at 2:43 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• aw poor lil baby! Just make sure to keep him hydrated. As far as the blow-outs, good luck with that lol. Just keep a towl handy and make sure his lil bottom is cleaned immediatly and dry. I know ds would get so sore from it. If it continues call doc, lil ones loss liquids so fast you want to keep an eye on it. hope he is well soon!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:59 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• have you tried florastor kids (it's OTC but you have to ask the pharamsist for it). Not too much you can do. My doc said it was just a side effect and I had to deal wtih it. I only had a few blow outs, luckily.
    Anonymous

• very normal on antibiotics--another thing you can try in addition to probiotics is the brat diet--at this age bananas and rice cereal. i know the cereal binds my dd like you wouldn't believe. Good luck and I am sorry about the extra laundry.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:09 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• At your son's age, I don't have an answer. After their first birthday, I always give my children yogurt or you can give them acidophilus, which comes in tablet and liquid.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 11:54 PM on Dec. 19, 2008